Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficulty with removing the 10" grindstone on a Tormek

Eventually the stone mounted on the regular steel shaft will begin to crack from the shaft rusting. DAMHIKT. I replaced the shaft with SS and got new plastic bushings when I replaced the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Then you know that this is really the only highly exposed piece. It's not like the things aren't totally open.
    I am not sure what "this is really the only highly exposed piece" is referring to. All I can say is that the stone wheel appears to be held onto my machine with a flat washer and a nut. The exposed end of the shaft, the washer, and the nut are heavily rusted and corroded. I interpret this to mean that these three components are not stainless steel and if and when it comes time to replace the stone wheel, I don't know that I will be able to break anything loose without causing damage to the machine. At this point, the corrosion is so severe, I don't know that breaking the nut loose and removing the washer is even possible.

What I was trying to say in my original post was that had these three components been made with stainless steel, changing the stone would not have the issues and difficulties I will be facing should I choose to replace the stone wheel. Changing the stone wheel should be more akin to changing a tire, not cutting suspension parts off a hundred year old car that spent most of its life at the bottom of a lake.
    Last edited by Rob Sack; 02-01-2024 at 11:32 PM.