Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDO plywood information please?

HDO plywood information please?

Some business has many pallets of 3/4" HDO plywood that they are advertising on craigslist for $40 a sheet. I have never used HDO. I was thinking of picking up a couple of sheets and using one of them to make new tops for my half dozen Black and Decker Workmates. Is HDO stronger than something like Baltic birch? Is HDO a good choice for new Workmate tops?

I assume that HDO will be stronger than MDO since HDO uses more resin?

I will laminate a 1.5" wide strip of 3/4" HDO under the 3/4" top at the jaws which will make the jaws 1.5" thick. I have an ancient Workmate with the factory table made this way.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 01-31-2024 at 10:01 PM.

HDO I have used came in a couple of different "flavors". I believe it all had 9 laminations and paper faces. The plain paper is a sign making product. The other is meant to be concrete form material. That product has a waxy oily feel to the faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    HDO I have used came in a couple of different "flavors". I believe it all had 9 laminations and paper faces. The plain paper is a sign making product. The other is meant to be concrete form material. That product has a waxy oily feel to the faces.
    Do you know if it is as strong or stronger than Baltic birch?

Thank you.

HDO is a softwood product so not as strong as BB but better for exterior use.

Thank you.

Most of my Workmate table have been ruined by getting wet, mainly the particle board ones... and I don't think I am ready to take out a second mortgage to put baltic birch tops on my Workmates. I appreciate the information for future reference though.

There is also some MDO advertised at $55 for a sheet of 3/4". Is there any reason I would want to pay $15 more for MDO than HDO? The tops aren't that big so I am not worried about the extra weight from HDO.

This article gives a lot of details on HDO and MDO plywood. Seems to be a good read.

https://plywoodlogistics.com/what-is...how-to-use-it/

MDO and HDO are good against water ONLY if the edges are well sealed.

John

I love MDO for painted plywood type projects of all kinds and have used it for a long time. Until this thread I'd never heard of HDO, though the "medium" designations strongly suggests other choices. It begs the question of whether there is a light density overlay product. I see references in Google to LDO on some concrete form oil pages, but no one offering to sell it or describing the product.

I remember Norm Abram used a lot of MDO on his New Yankee Workshop projects. I was a member of the rec.arts.woodworking UseNet group back then. A lot of woodworkers tried to get MDO only to find they would have to order it at great expense. Now I'm wondering if it's more available these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I remember Norm Abram used a lot of MDO on his New Yankee Workshop projects. I was a member of the rec.arts.woodworking UseNet group back then. A lot of woodworkers tried to get MDO only to find they would have to order it at great expense. Now I'm wondering if it's more available these days.
    A decent plywood supplier will have it on hand for the sign trades. Industrial Plywood whom I buy sheet goods from stocks it and in more than one version. Some of these places will only sell to the trade, but many will also sell to small operators/hobbyists. Many will deliver; IP delivers to me "free" for a minimum $300 order with only a $11 fuel surcharge and they are in the area two days a week. The drivers are always happy to help me get the material into the shop, although here at the new place, I'll only ask them to help get it on my utility trailer and I'll then move it to the shop building out back.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A decent plywood supplier will have it on hand for the sign trades. Industrial Plywood whom I buy sheet goods from stocks it and in more than one version. Some of these places will only sell to the trade, but many will also sell to small operators/hobbyists. Many will deliver; IP delivers to me "free" for a minimum $300 order with only a $11 fuel surcharge and they are in the area two days a week. The drivers are always happy to help me get the material into the shop, although here at the new place, I'll only ask them to help get it on my utility trailer and I'll then move it to the shop building out back.
    I wonder if they deliver to Central NJ!!!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I wonder if they deliver to Central NJ!!!
    They may...given them a shout. You might also contact Russell Plywood and a few others. Perhaps some of the makers in NJ can provide some references, too.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    They may...given them a shout. You might also contact Russell Plywood and a few others. Perhaps some of the makers in NJ can provide some references, too.
    Thanks -- I did find Berta Lumber in south jersey. The have free delivery in NJ for orders over 500, or a deliver fee of 40 for orders under 500. It would cost me almost that in gas and tolls, not including milage on the vehicle or my time.

Oddly, regardless of 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 the price is all the same at 64.99 a sheet?

https://bertastore.com/collections/m...-sides-plywood
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Very strange that the pricing is the same regardless of thickness...I've never seen that!
    --

I have heard of MDO (probably from Norm) and HDO but I have never used it. The lumber shop around here doesn't carry it. Of course HD or Lowes doesn't either. I was looking for a table for my radial arm saw and couldn't stomach the local lumber prices so I turned to FB market and Craigslist. This is where I found HDO ($40) and MDO ($35) at reasonable prices... but a couple hours away.

Before taking a trip I was hoping to get some idea about the characteristics of these sheet goods, strength and voids being a couple of my interests. My favorite builders outlet has some finished one side maple ply I would also probably pick up too. To make the trip worth it I will have to pick up several various sheets. I have several Workmates and figured I would pick up a sheet to make new tables for them too.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 02-03-2024 at 7:38 PM.