Thread: Vintage Spokeshaves

Vintage Spokeshaves

I'm putting together some older tools to keep at the cabin so I don't have to transport stuff back and forth.

There are ~7800 models of Stanley spokeshaves out there...any recommendations of particular models to look for or ones to avoid? Just looking for a regular way, flat bottomed spokeshave.

Stanley #53 and Stanley #84

Edit to add some comments and photos.

The #53 has an adjustable mouth, which can be opened for coarse cuts and closed down for smoothing.

The #84 is a wooden handled low angle spokeshave which is amazing on endgrain. The toe is angled to enable the mouth to be opened and closed with downforce.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-01-2024 at 6:34 PM.

I can send the OP a Stanley No. 51 IF need be...as I do have a spare...would just need to know where to send it..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I prefer the #51. Maybe I just have a good example, but it works better than my #151. Despite not having the adjustment knobs of the 151, I find it easier to set up. You just need a flat surface to lay it on and lock the blade down. It's a pretty much perfect setting every time.

Scheduled arrival is next Monday's mail..Just paying it forward...all I ask is that others pay it forward as well..Shipped on my dime, enjoy...

Thank you Steven!

I opted for the 151 to get the screw adjusters. Then I picked up a 151R, the round-bottom counterpart. I use both for easy, quick work because of their cavernous throats. When the rubber meets the road, I polish up my Boggs round-bottom shave. It's a level up, but takes a learning curve to avoid chatter.

I like to remember that I bought it from Anne of All Trades at a Lie-Nielsen tool event.

Blog Entries
    The #51 is a great all around shave.

This is a #52 & #63 round bottom spokeshave >

#63 & #52 Spokeshaves with adjusting Mallet.jpg

The littlle mallet is used for adjusting the blade. A light tap on the handle will retract the blade. Tapping the blade advances it. You may have to loosen the top screw or cap screw to perform an adjustment.

The "mallet" doesn't have to be fancy. It can be just about any hunk of wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No sooner get that padded envelope IN the mail...then a 13 pound box was delivered to my front porch by Buster Brown Truck..

2 items of note ( Besides a Henry Disston & Sons No. 1 try square, 6")
    There is a rusty Stanley No. 60 (early type) and a Stanley No. 67 with just the round sole...

Rehab Shop will be in full swing tomorrow...Might need a can of Brasso...4" solid brass Dividers will need cleaned up..too.

Did Klein Tools make Yankee style screwdrivers? This one is marked Made in England, BTW..

Film at 2300 hrs...separate thread?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Scheduled arrival is next Monday's mail..Just paying it forward...all I ask is that others pay it forward as well..Shipped on my dime, enjoy...
    Very generous Steve

Rehabbed last night...
    Mail Call, 2024, odds & ends 3.JPG
    The "Before", and..
    Mail Call, the Rehabs, No. 60.JPG
    No. 60 is done, and sharpened up..
    Mail Call, the Rehabs, 6 done.JPG
    The No. 67 cleaned up....Square is a Stanley SW 6" mitre square
    Mail Call, the Rehabs, looking better.JPG
    The nasty looking BIG Bevel gauge cleaned up nicely...and what I thought was a pair of tweezers turned out to be solid Brass 4" Dividers...

I may do a thread about that Box of Toys later?

Should be in the OP's Mail box, now....