Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3-31 Not happy

Hammer A3-31 Not happy

Hello

I had just bought a new machine and have had it for a month now and have not had much time to mess with it. I sold a jet 12JP machine and the only reason i did that was I wanted the carbide head. It was going to be close to the same price to buy the head or sell the machine and buy this one. For the money one spends on this I would think you should not have to mess around setting it up to work correctly. The table were way out of adjustment. I did make a call in for a tech to give me a call and that took about 1.5 weeks to hear from them. He gave me some good pointers and I have gotten the table top to my liking. Now I'm trying to correct the snipe. It was really bad I feel. I added more tension to the front roller with one full revolution of the nut. The tail end of the board the snipe was bad also. I gave one turn around also and it got better but I did it 2 more times and I'm still seeing the snipe. The front end of the board is perfect but the tail end I can still see and feel it. Di I keep turning these nuts tighter? Seems 3 complete revolutions is a lot all ready. Please let me know if this is normal to turn it this far. Thanks

Also the stupid cord that comes on the machine is worthless. It's about 1 foot long. For 5 grand you would think they could give you about 3-4 feet of cord so you can just install a plug and go to work. I ended up adding a ruction box on the back and terminal strip inside to make the connections. Another 50 bucks worth the stuff.

You probably need to walk around and support the board when it’s near the end on the outfeed side. When you’re feeding the board in I imagine you’re giving it some support at least until it’s under both feed rollers.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Hello

I did hold it as level as possible coming out the other side. My old jet did a better job I feel than this Hammer. I want to give a fair shake.

Make sure you're locking the table after adjusting the height.

Dan, these are my expectations.

I am in Australia and service delivery appears to be very different to yours. If I had an issue, Felder would respond the same day, and arrange to meet me on my terms. I would pay for this if out of the warrantee period, otherwise not. I do not know what to recommend in your situation, but clearly to me it us terrible service.

I've had the A3-31 for about 10 years now, with the silent head and the digital gauge. It gets a lot of use, on hard Australian timber (and over the past few years on US Hard Maple), and I am still on the original carbide inserts. These are now about to be turned to their fourth face. I have also never experienced snipe, which says that the original settings just hold. This machine has been utterly reliable.

One thing I want to do is add a support table (that wide aluminium extrusion that clips on) to the thickness-planer outfeed. I always walk around to support the planed board, but some are very heavy and this could strain the rollers if I do not reach the board quickly enough.

Get yours sorted by someone knowledgeable, and then enjoy it.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-03-2024 at 7:41 PM.

Hey Dan, that is a bummer. However, I do think the final calibration is on the owner after delivery. That is sorta standard with every machine. For example, I definitely spent some time setting the pressure bar and bed on my 20” Powermatic after taking delivery. I spent a lonnnnngggggg time on a 500mm jointer calibration, but that was a used machine. It isn’t enviable work, but I would take a breath and commit a 90 minute period of time to sorting it out. I assume it will be like most machines and it’s worth the time to get it right the first time and have great workpiece results. I know Felder offers onsite commissioning, but I think it’s a decent price if you aren’t close to one of their headquarters. I’m too cheap to pay $2,000 to avoid a calibration headache.

I have the A3-41 machine; the 16" version of yours. I guess I was lucky as it worked flawlessly out of the crate. I would emphasize 2 points made by others:
    1. Outfeed support is crucial for long boards by supporting it as it exits. I don't have the aluminum extensions yet, but it is on the want list.
    2. Lock the planer bed after each height adjustment; there is a little movement in the big shaft under the bed but none when the handle is locked.

Final setup should be done by the owner. I’ve tweaked every machine I’ve purchased. Just part of ownership.

Unfortunately, Hammer is Felder’s budget product line. I wouldn’t expect premium support. But there are some good setup videos on YouTube you can use.

Mine was also within tolerances upon delivery. This might help, if you haven't seen it yet.

https://lancesworkbench.conryclan.co...-thicknessing/
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

On the cord, many machines don't come with any cord. None of my SCM machines did nor did my CNC machine. With a pigtail like you got, you can make up an extension to the exact length you need and still have a full disconnect at the machine. I set up all my machines that way. Yes, a few more shekels because of the additional plugs, but great safety and flexibility.

On the snipe, someone mentioned supporting the board as it comes out. That's often a standard process with any of the larger machines when thicknessing because of the distance between the infeed and outfeed rollers. A gentle lift on the outfeed side of the board with your hand for the las foot or so can eliminate the snip that's caused by the weight of the board dangling in the air when it loses support from the infeed roller. That moves the end of the board up into the cutterhead.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just remembered, my locking handle was quite loose upon arrival. Looser than I would have expected, and I was slightly concerned until it finally hit a 'stop'.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    On the snipe, someone mentioned supporting the board as it comes out. That's often a standard process with any of the larger machines when thicknessing because of the distance between the infeed and outfeed rollers. A gentle lift on the outfeed side of the board with your hand for the las foot or so can eliminate the snip that's caused by the weight of the board dangling in the air when it loses support from the infeed roller. That moves the end of the board up into the cutterhead.
    JJP12 here. I hold the board up a bit on both infeed and outfeed and have no detectable snipe. The Jet planer function doesn't have a pressure bar like the larger stand alone planers so the only thing holding the work piece down are the infeed/outfeed rollers. When the work piece isn't under both rollers it can rotate up into the cutterhead and so snipe.

I've got a 150-page document from Hammer, called Hammer Setup Guide. It is quite complete. It covers, among other machines, the A3-31. I downloaded it from a Felder/Hammer server. You might contact your sales guy to see if he can find you a link to it.

I bought the 31 just over a year ago and ended up selling it. I disliked the short planer beds and also was more used to going from stand alone jointer and planer that I expected. Nice machine, but I was set in my ways I guess.

The short beds, can be an issue. I recently purchased one, and the first real project is a settle, so I have 12"x1.5"x7 1/2' rails to deal with. I found it easier to use a handplane for those, but not a problem at all on the 3-4' pieces for the sides. Basically, average furniture sized things.

I'll get longer extension beds likely, and most certainly more shorter ones. Mostly because the planer is a pain to install and remove, so it's just going to live there perminently.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut