Thread: Acceptable base and stretcer locations?

Blog Entries

Acceptable base and stretcer locations?

Shop cabinet. The cabinet will have about 5 drawers. Intuitively my engineering degree says place base so that it supports the weight from the drawers. The stretchers would be inside the sides at the top as there would be a solid top eventually going on top of the cabinet. Thanks

SMC12.jpg
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

I don't see a problem with it structurally. However, you will have to measure and account for the actual thickness of your material. If you were to put the bottom inside of the side, making the stretchers and bottom the same length, you could work directly off a cut list and your cabinet will be square regardless of the material thickness of the sides. It's not a big deal though, just something to be aware of.

Aesthetically, the cabinet would look better with the side the full height of the box.

When we build cabinets, the side is usually made to be the full height of the box with the bottom and stretchers sitting inside. The box is then set on top of a detached ladder base which carries the load on the side panel to the floor.
    Last edited by Michael Zerance; 02-07-2024 at 7:37 AM.
    - Mike

I would not do it that way. I would make the sides full length and the base/top sitting inside. I would also design the toe-kick base separately, install/level it and then just place the cabinets on top.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 02-07-2024 at 10:38 AM.