Thread: Planing with an Arbortech Turbo Plane

Planing with an Arbortech Turbo Plane

I am in the process of building seats for two chairs. They will look like this ...

There has been some shaping on the upper side, and the first seat is mostly done ...

The second seat needs to have a 1/4" removed from the bottom before shaping can continue on the upper side. However, these blanks start out as 2" thick solid Hard Maple, and planing off a 1/4" is a lot of work with a hand plane. This is one time I would have liked a hand power plane, but do not own one.

I have been using an Arbortech power plane to remove waste prior to shaping with hand tools ...

Using a travisher to refine the curves ...

It occurred to me that this was an opportunity to try out the planing module that comes with the Arbortech. It has a depth gauge to limit how much waste can be removed and maintains a flat surface. Also, dust collection is repported to be excellent.

Well, it did a great job. Dust collection was excellent - hardly any chips around. Pretty flat and even. Just a little to remove to level up ...

Now it was very little work to finish off with a LA Jointer ...

Interesting.

Regards from Perth

Derek

How does the depth stop work? beautiful.

Prashun, it is simply a lowering or raising of the surround ring. You can see it in this photo ..

The control for it is the orange know with the arrow ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
    Did the surround ring come with the Arbortech? I bought an Arbortech about 6 years back and just use it freehand. It might be nice for me to buy the ring if its available.
    thanks,
    Stevo

Stevo, it all came as part of a kit. Check out their website. I do not know if the parts can be purchased separately.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is really helpful, Derek - I'm planning some chairs, soon, and will look into this!