Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressor

Jerry,
    Yep - I have mine on a Harbor Freight furniture dolly. Beats trying to lug it from place to place.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    California Air has about 50 models of compressors, including an Industrial Series. It's one hell of a statement that says all their compressors seriously lack CFM and all you can do with them is intermittent use. I doubt if your 6 gallon Bostitch will keep a roofing nailer going if the shingles are put down quickly. They only put out 2.6 SCFM.
    I knew someone would jump on me.
    CA compressors do have a big selection but if you actually look at their offerings, most all, unless specified as such, have very low cfm and small tanks.

(this is just a guess)
    It would seem that their philosophy is that, their units are so quiet, they can run more often without disturbing you. End result is that with the small tanks and low CFM, they have to run more often
    The highest number I've seen listed for CFM is 10.6
    Yes, I said I have a small Bostitch that I use for jobs like the OP has. I never said I was a professional roofer that would max out the capabilities of the unit.
    I stand by my statement.
    You like them, you buy them, just maybe take a look at a CFM use chart before you do.

Blog Entries
    The problem with a compressor on roofing , is once you get past complicated areas, your going as fast as you can go. Let’s say a small compressor somewhat keeps up, it will run all day.

took a look at the HF compressors..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-07-2024 at 10:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    When I helped a friend w roofing we used a pancake plus an old propane tank modified w a hose connection as a buffer. We were 3 guys and never ran out of air.

Not that we ever reached the speed of the pros, but we were using the guns in "vegas" mode. (Pushing the tip fires the gun)
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 02-07-2024 at 3:36 PM.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Pancake was on ground, tank was bungied to roof.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Looking at this one too..I could run an air sander on this…

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...pressor-60-gal

Blog Entries
    According the SurfPrep website, you could EXACTLY run the 3x4 square sander (16 CFM requirement). NM.. that's SCFM. At 90 PSI you only need 3 CFM.

In that case, buy me one too.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Looking at this one too..I could run an air sander on this…

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...pressor-60-gal
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I knew someone would jump on me.
    CA compressors do have a big selection but if you actually look at their offerings, most all, unless specified as such, have very low cfm and small tanks.
    Just as I knew someone would jump on me. But if you go to the website, even the small ones have more CFM than what you suggested with that Bostich. I don't care what the rpm or tank size is in most cases, I always shop by CFM. I didn't base my first reply on model or tank size like you did, but I would never take a 5 gal compressor to a roofing fight. A short Google search says; Roofing nailer--------4.0cfm @50psi min. This model has higher CFM than required and is cheaper than TSC at $619. https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...083VNGPHV?th=1
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 02-07-2024 at 4:29 PM.

Northern Tools has free shipping on a number of smaller air compressors. Like California Compressors, they are pretty quiet.

I got this one a couple years ago and like it a lot. 8 gallon, 4cfm @90psi. https://www.northerntool.com/product...m-90-psi-53009
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Just as I knew someone would jump on me. But if you go to the website, even the small ones have more CFM than what you suggested with that Bostich. I don't care what the rpm or tank size is in most cases, I always shop by CFM. I didn't base my first reply on model or tank size like you did, but I would never take a 5 gal compressor to a roofing fight. A short Google search says; Roofing nailer--------4.0cfm @50psi min. This model has higher CFM than required and is cheaper than TSC at $619. https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...083VNGPHV?th=1
    Well, we all know google is always right

Nailers do not require a continuous air supply, they are intermittent use tools. This is why they can be used with smaller tank units with low CFM ratings.

Would I suggest a pancake style compressor for a professional roofing crew, no. The unit would be cycling too much in order to keep up with demand.
    Would I suggest it for a homeowner, doing some roof repair, sure. They are more than adequate to run nailers/staplers The OP only said he had to put on a new roof, that's all we know.

This is not personal
    The unit you linked to provides 5.6 CFM @ 90 PSI, great, it would work well for most any roofing nailer application.
    The issue is, with such low CFM, running anything that requires continuous airflow of 6 CFM or more, like drills, grinders, sprayers, impact gun, sanders, blast cabinet... and the unit will be constantly running, although quietly. Not good for an all around shop compressor IMO.
    These units, as they are spec-ed, will need to run more, that's just math, not my opinion.
    This is something to consider when purchasing.

I would look at hiring help for the day and in that case get 2- pancakes 2 guns and sell them when your done. I think big money goes to tools you will use continually.

I wouldn't spend $1,000 on any single stage compressor, looking at that link in an earlier post. There are always compressors on CL. I even have one on there that would be more than needed for this job for $250. Even though I don't do asphalt shingles any more, I would absolutely hire some help if I did. I always used a long hose with the compressor on the ground. When I was building new houses I had a 5hp 2-stage with 80 gallon tank in a step van and 200 feet of air hose on a reel in the back of the truck. That much air is not needed to run a roofing gun, but was great for sheathing a roof.

I certainly wouldn't want to wait on a compressor on any job.

I am surprised no one mentioned the Makita Mac2400.

I have thought it a good compressor for most needs and like the fact it uses oil.

That looks like a nice little compressor and it would do the job fine. I have an old twin tank Emglo that looks very similar and will run a roofing nailer with no problem. I also agree about not using an oil less compressor for this type of job. I have one of the little oilless California Air ones for using inside houses with finish nailers and smaller, but wouldn't put it to work running a nail gun.