Thread: Telephone captioning service

Telephone captioning service

This is just an FYI for folks who cannot easily use a phone to receive or make voice calls. There are free captioning services available as apps for your smart phone. Ive used one for years called Innocaption but there are others. Accuracy of transcription used to be spotty and depended on the accuracy and speed of the person doing the transcribing if you chose that option. The voice recognition option was not always accurate either so I hesitated to use the service unless it was unavoidable. But Innocaption has now started using AI for the transcription. My limited experience with the AI transcription is it is essentially 100% accurate and it’s fast. I use my iPhones forwarding option to send all calls to the service so folks can use your regular phone number to call. Outgoing calls have to be made from the Innocaption assigned number. Callers can also leave voice mail. The voice mail is transcribed and you can read it when you choose. Please check it out, it costs nothing for user or caller and with the AI, callers are not likely to even know they are using a transcription service. I used to have to explain to people there might be delays in my response's to what they said due to the slow transcriptions so I rarely used it. Much better now. Also texts are not forwarded and they work just like normal. Another benefit is the captioned call is saved to your phone and you can refer back to it if necessary. My experience is limited to the Innocaption service. It’s been a boon to me.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

They really had humans transcribing the calls at no charge? That seems surprising. Voice recognition and conversion to text has been a thing for a long time. Think about Siri on an iPhone, especially when sending text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    This is just an FYI for folks who cannot easily use a phone to receive or make voice calls. There are free captioning services available as apps for your smart phone. Ive used one for years called Innocaption but there are others. Accuracy of transcription used to be spotty and depended on the accuracy and speed of the person doing the transcribing if you chose that option. The voice recognition option was not always accurate either so I hesitated to use the service unless it was unavoidable. But Innocaption has now started using AI for the transcription. My limited experience with the AI transcription is it is essentially 100% accurate and it’s fast. I use my iPhones forwarding option to send all calls to the service so folks can use your regular phone number to call. Outgoing calls have to be made from the Innocaption assigned number. Callers can also leave voice mail. The voice mail is transcribed and you can read it when you choose. Please check it out, it costs nothing for user or caller and with the AI, callers are not likely to even know they are using a transcription service. I used to have to explain to people there might be delays in my response's to what they said due to the slow transcriptions so I rarely used it. Much better now. Also texts are not forwarded and they work just like normal. Another benefit is the captioned call is saved to your phone and you can refer back to it if necessary. My experience is limited to the Innocaption service. It’s been a boon to me.
    I agree, Michael. I used Innocaption years ago before getting my Cochlear and it worked great, was a real game changer for us deaf or hearing impaired folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    They really had humans transcribing the calls at no charge? That seems surprising. Voice recognition and conversion to text has been a thing for a long time. Think about Siri on an iPhone, especially when sending text messages.
    . The captioning service is financed by one of the departments of the government as a service to the deaf or hearing impaired.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

There is a fee on everyone's phone bill, cell or landline that pays for the captioning service. You have to register with the captioning company and they are paid a fee for each service event.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Thanks for sharing this valuable information! It's great to hear about the improved accuracy with AI transcription in services like Innocaption. This could be a game-changer for many individuals who rely on captioning for phone communication.