Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accurate Bandsaw Cross cut?

Accurate Bandsaw Cross cut?

Hi

I have a Felder 400 FB bandsaw and I need to perform accurate crosscuts on thick stock (about 2.5”) and about 5” wide.

Usually I do crosscuts by hand and correct with a shooting board; but at this thickness the shooting board will not work. Also my hand saw capabilities are subpar.
    There is no room in the garage for a table saw.
    So either I purchase a sliding miter saw or get the bandsaw to work.

Any advice for the bandsaw?

There are so many ways to do this, but for me, using a bandsaw would not even be on the list.

That saw came with a miter gauge, right? If so, use it. If not, get one. Use a carbide-tipped blade. On my saw, the carbide blade just does not have the lead angle issue which plagues steel blades.

A good bandsaw is capable of precise work. I'd expect to make that cut precise to within .01" on my saw, which is smaller than yours.

Track saw?

The problem for me wouldn't be my bandsaw, it would probably be me, the stupid human. I've done something to get "very close" but I've always followed up with something else to make them perfect. I'd certainly build a jig and use a miter slot if it's available.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 02-08-2024 at 12:04 PM.

If I had to use the bandsaw, I would use a sled

A sled, and the correct blade would be my choice.

I would try a 1/2" 3TPI blade.

I make bridle joints on the bandsaw.Bridle Joint off the saw.jpgCompleted Bridle Joint.jpg

Accurate enough for me.

Regards, Rod.

Do you have any other saws available? I'd opt for a track saw or circular saw if you already have one of those. With the circular saw, just clamp on a straight edge to follow. However, 2.5" is near the max dept of cut for those, so you might want to take some measurements before proceeding to see if that's an issue.

If you want to attempt it by hand, just flip the board back and forth a bunch. Back before I got good at sawing by hand, I could still cut a really straight line, if I constantly flipped the board. It took forever. But the results were good. Just cut at a 45° angle and stop to flip the board before the blind side starts to cut into the wood. Then repeat on the other side and keep doing that until you're through. That way, you're only cutting where you can see on the outside, and the kerf will keep the inside perfectly straight.

But a miter gauge or sled would work for the bandsaw as well. Whatever you choose, just take it really slow and focus and is should come out alright.

Blog Entries
    I use the miter gauge with a taller sac-fence screwed on.

scrap-coasters (4).jpgScrap Trivet (11).jpg

I slice these that way.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adel Heiba View Post
    Hi

I have a Felder 400 FB bandsaw

I'm not familiar with your saw, to know how the table is mounted. However, I would suggest watching this video on aligning a band saw for cross cuts. I followed this procedure on my band saw, Delta 14", and it worked wonders. I can make accurate cross cuts and rip cuts with no blade wander.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In addition to the regular mitre slot, what's quite shallow on a few saws, (bar the upgraded Laguna LT, and perhaps Felder FB)
    ACM also make a crosscutting rail system
    https://www.acmuksaws.co.uk/table_sl...tre_fence.html

Though there are plenty of options, if you were to go that route, and the flat stock might be the most sensible,
    should this make sense for you.

All the best
    Tom

I use the miter gauge on my bandsaw all the time and it works well with a 1/2" 3 tpi blade. I have one miter gauge that is permanently set to 10 degrees for making segmented rings and one for general purpose use.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Track saw?

Not for cutting 2-1/2” thick @ 5” wide !

Quote Originally Posted by Adel Heiba View Post
    Hi

I have a Felder 400 FB bandsaw and I need to perform accurate crosscuts on thick stock (about 2.5”) and about 5” wide.

Usually I do crosscuts by hand and correct with a shooting board; but at this thickness the shooting board will not work. Also my hand saw capabilities are subpar.
    There is no room in the garage for a table saw.

Adel, what you want is a "miter jack".

Saw close to the line and then use the miter jack to either plane or chisel to the line.

Alternately, make a fence (include magnets) to guide a hand saw, preferably a Japanese pull saw.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-09-2024 at 4:38 AM.

So long as the length of the part is not an issue, you should be able to get a quite accurate (90 degrees in both directions, and flat) cut using a miter gauge or sled. Only issue will be surface finish. It will be rougher than most table saws or miter saws, but with good blade it won't be terrible. If the cut end is getting butted against something it might be good enough right off the saw. If the cut end will be exposed, you can chuck the part in your bench vise and plane a couple thousandths off the surface- you won't need a shooting board or miter jack for a large piece like you are considering.