Thread: Firefall in Yosemite national park this month

Firefall in Yosemite national park this month

This happens when the sunsets at a proper angle to light up horsetail falls. Not the old pour burning coals over a cliff.
    Bill D.
    https://www.foxweather.com/lifestyle...-yosemite-2024

Thanks Bill
    I've seen video of the old way, those people were kinda nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Thanks Bill
    I've seen video of the old way, those people were kinda nuts
    They quit doing it around 1965. It was done to draw paying visiters to the valley. By then they had a full house.
    PS: Horsetail falls is the only spot in the valley you are normally likely to find any parking. It is also the only flush toilet outside the built up city area. I have it marked in my GPS. I think the entrance fee is now $30 or free with a lifetime senior pass costing $80.
    Bill D

I climbed a lot in the valley, & one time there were a whole lot of cars parked along the road where normally there weren't.

I stopped to investigate, & all these folks were scattered around, just standing there. I noticed the cameras & figured out that they were there for the shot.

Actually, the original firefall happened off & on for almost 100 years, a tradition that started kind of by accident.

Galen Rowell apparently made the first horsetail falls photo. He was an amazing, if rather narcissistic guy. I attended several talks by him BITD, & my wife collaborated on a photo book with him.

Blog Entries
    Visited once with my parents in 1962 and saw the coals-over-the rim version.
    NOW you tell me...