Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Roofing valley

Blog Entries
    I’m going to try and get up there and blow the leaves out the gutter. Easier to find nails in there without the wet leaves

Blog Entries
    I had convinced myself to use a galvanized ring shank nail, but there’s only one place that sells them and there $150 for 7200. I’m thinking I’m going to need two boxes. I’m trying to decide If I really need them..

Blog Entries
    Figured up tye roof. Roughly $4000

How much would it cost to get someone else to do it?

Blog Entries
    $15k+I’ll have to rent a dumpster

Blog Entries
    I could come help for $14999.00, but I left my brake in New Hampshire (thank God).

I am still unclear if it will be an asphalt roof with metal valleys, or a metal roof?
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-10-2024 at 7:15 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Asphalt roof.

Blog Entries
    I would do as mentioned above, a weave or a cut overlap with ice and water shield underneath and care taken with nailing, keeping all nails away from the valley. The finished job will look much like it does now. Underneath you will have 18 inches of protection on each side.
    GCP Applied Technologies Grace Ice and Water Shield 36 in. x 75 ft. Roll Self-Adhered Roofing Underlayment (225 sq. ft.) 5003002 - The Home Depot
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Grace is an option , but expensive. I prefer the look of metal on the roofs. The roof behind me was done by a roofer that lived there. He has the biggest roofing company around here. He’s moved now and thought about asking him to order my materials. He put metal on his. I’ll put a picture up tomorrow..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-10-2024 at 8:38 PM.

hats off to anyone that has been a roofer. That it is hard work. I rebuilt and reshingled two also doing facia and eves. Grace and Certainteed ice and water and Landmark 25's. This one some grace but more certainteed ice and water and facia eves and drip edges.

I used metal in a monty python area that changed direction on an area all built wrong. It has shingles same on both sides and I stuck them down and sealed that edge. Zero water in over the years. To fix properly would have been way over 100k over one third of the home ripped off so at least its water tight and no a concern that way. When I started I ripped out 25 feet of roof, new hip and ridge boards then new 2 x 6 and ply and and. no way I could roof over something out six inches. Still left 3 other sections all built wrong but at some point drew the line.

Sorry, it was 90 cents a pound. Phone won’t let me edit

Blog Entries
    I’ve been on a few roofs working. Never the whole thing , but enough to get an idea how much work is involved. I’ll clean my gutters first and rip the front off first. I’m too old and too slow to do it all at once. I bought a used Stinger cap gun at a pawn shop. I fired it about 10 times yesturday and oiled it. I bought a new Bostitch roofing nailer last year on sale at Menards for $200. Bought roofing shovels on a 75% sale. I need two safety harnesses and ropes.

Good luck with it. I made a good living building houses by not paying anyone else to do anything except for paying a couple of helpers that no one else would hire. Just as you found with the pricing, I could build a house in 38 weeks for a little less than half of what I could sell it for. No getting around it being work though. Take every step to save steps but do every step the best you can.

When I was young (1976) and had one really good helper working for me, Charles and I put on 52 squares of shingles in one day including getting delivery that morning. He didn't stick with me though because I didn't work in the Summertime.

As an example, I thought of one step I did to save steps when dealing with shingles. I would set up some scaffolding, get the truck to back up to the scaffolding and we would set the bundles off the truck onto the scaffolding. With 6.5 foot high scaffolding, you can hand up bundles onto a single story roof without having to transport them from the ground up a ladder.

Blog Entries
    You either pay yourself, or you pay someone else.