Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Roofing valley

I still have the nail strippers, for comp and for wood shingles, around somewhere- possibly even the butt pad.

Laminated shingles these days are much easier to install than three tab, except for the weight.

Before the holidays I roofed the cottage I'm working on with torch-on. About 500 SF but two layers. Those rolls are tough to get up a ladder!

I have one little building and one rental house here left with asphalt shingles on them. Those will be the last I ever do, and only tear those off and replace with standing seam metal when it becomes necessary.

Blog Entries
    Hand driving isn’t an option for me. I cut the tips of ring and middle finger in 85. If I start hand riving and smash one of tye two with a hammer , I could do some serious injury to myself. I feel lucky they never had to go back and do more surgery..

I think the only advantage to hand nailing is if you happen to find the gap between sheets of plywood you know it. You can tell with a nailer too though if you have any feel at all for it. Even back when we used staples, I never had any roof suffer damage before it just wore out from old age. The staples were a pain to get back out though-much more aggravating than straight claw hammer claws to a roofing tack.

Blog Entries
    Hand drive or not doesn’t make any difference.

Blog Entries
    I am very disappointed with my Bostitch coil nailer. I wish I had spent more and gotten a Hatachi or Senco. The quality of nailers has gone down hill. Modern guns are much lighter but they sure do not work as well.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I am very disappointed with my Bostitch coil nailer. I wish I had spent more and gotten a Hatachi or Senco. The quality of nailers has gone down hill. Modern guns are much lighter but they sure do not work as well.
    It use to be Hitachi, but it changes like the seasons. I bought the Bostitch cause it was the talk eveywhere, but depends on the model. I want to use Bostitch brand nails, but want ring shank nails. I’m caught trying to decide..

I bought the rn46

I did search around looking for an individual like myself who roofed their roodpf and wanted to sell their tools. Not much luck..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-13-2024 at 8:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    I’ve got to check with Menards about delivery.

Blog Entries
    Keeping an eye now on a sale. Probably won’t happen, but I’m hopeful.

Blog Entries

the senco with the funnel tip was the best roofing nailer ever made.

The canadian distributor who only had china to offer and could not get me one said there were problems with it. The US guy at Senco tore some strips off him for that and also found one for me in the US. What great service.

I can send you this on loan, as I think I've said before, and you just send it back when you get finished. I don't believe it has ever misfired. I don't expect to ever put on another asphalt shingle, but don't want to get rid of the nailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah thats the one.

I have foam glued to mine it as a few times even with the rubber bumpers it started to travel and since I knew id never find another one I want it to stay where i set it down

You are a nicer man than me Tom, while I do loan some tools to friends and have machined enough stuff for them my Senco stays with me

are you losing a pin there on the nail cover? good to see the rubber on the air. have you ever tried a swivel fitting on them. I know its very different but ive grown to like them, good ones on many tools as im not holding the air line rather it drops almost straight down.

IMG_6312A.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-15-2024 at 4:15 PM.

I had forgotten, but yes it's missing a pin. The 3/8 industrial ends swivel enough for me. I don't remember why there is an adapter between the gun and the quick connect fitting either. I probably stole the one off of it for something else and cobbled that up the last time I used it, which was a good while ago. I don't even remember the last asphalt shingles I put on something.

Blog Entries
    I bought a new Bostitch months ago. Still in the box. I probably woukdld have bought Hitachi if I was to do more than one roof.

I was thinking my boy could nail the back of the house with me..