Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Roofing valley

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Called to get a price on shingle disposal. That’s a joke

Blog Entries
    Columbia MO has our own landfill and charges $35 a ton. It is for residents only. I am trying to find where Odessa trash goes, it may be Warrensberg. A dumpster for a tiny house re-roof in NH last summer was going to be $1500. I bundled all of the old shingles with twine and took them to the town transfer station in the van, 5 trips @ $20 each. In NH the trash is trucked to a landfill in Maine.

This site has a search tool
    https://www.countyoffice.org/mo-landfills/
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-20-2024 at 7:05 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Looking at trailers on Craigslist. Cheaper to buy and remove myself

Blog Entries
    Called suppliers about buying Owens Corning shingles from a supplier. Nope. It’s a monopoly

Blog Entries
    My neighbor who use to live behind me has a remodeling company. Because nobody with sell me Owen's Corning without an account, he sells package deals . I come up with what I want and they deliver for an up charge. She says they use Rhino, but ai don’t want Rhino…

the problem I’m having. Not being a roofer and the fact that when I look up ice and water or synthetic, I get hit with trying to choose which one. This is the confusing part of trying to decide what to put on your roof..

Too many choices,.
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-21-2024 at 11:23 AM.

I had two choices grace and Certainteed. I used mostly grace first one then certainteed on the second.

What happens down the road when you have to reshingle again to the ice and water when the roof is stripped?

A big deal in the roofing bus at a show told me the bus was built on a scam made to be self perpetuating. He said stuff could last many times longer. Im still getting kernals off the landmarks on one I did in 2009.

Blog Entries
    Ordering material will begin Monday. Trying to find razor knifes, etc.

Blog Entries
    Guess I’m going to do a closed valley.Didnt like the crooked look of it. Looking for two razor knifes. Going to HD.

Blog Entries
    I go today to pick up supplies. I saw a YouTube video that recommended synthetic over the ice and water shield so the shingles could be removed in the future, otherwise the shingles stick to the ice shelf and they have to rip the plywood off and replace it..

Blog Entries
    So you would put down the ice and water shield with minimum fasteners. Then roll over it with synthetic and fasten it as usual. Then roof.

I can’t see that this technique would hurt anything..

If you use a self-healing membrane, it takes any required mechanical fasteners out of the picture. It adds a little cost, but you get a better moisture/water barrier under your actual roof.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

ice and water seals around nails. Thats new some sort of paper over the ice and water. I likely asked one supplier what happens down the road for reshingle and was told you rip the deck off.

If that is accurate thats pathetic and makes using ice and water almost a joke. Ice and water had different textures the Grace was one thing the Certainteed I used had a different finish and bet shingles would release better.

Jack is that what they told you when you reshingle after ice and water you rip the whole roof deck off? will shingles not pull up off the ice and water maybe some heat involved.

Blog Entries
    No Warren , it just makes sense. If the asphalt shingle sticks to the ice and water shield, how you getting the shingles off? Take a shovel to it. Tear it. Then it’s no good. If you apply a synthetic over it , you have lost nothing and gained even more protection..pull simply pull the synthetic up

it doesn’t affect the ice and water at all..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-28-2024 at 6:02 PM.

that wasnt around when I did this so is that your idea? paper going down makes sense to not tare up the ice and water but then you wont have them sticking down the same way if they are on paper