Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14” bandsaw for $1,000 or less ?

Blog Entries

Thanks Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Assuming it's used? Grizzly hasn't had their PA showroom since 2015!
    Thanks Justin, it’s new, You answered my question, I don’t think I’ll be driving to Washington or Missouri 😊. I guess I’ll just have to have it delivered and hope for the best.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Thanks Justin, it’s new, You answered my question, I don’t think I’ll be driving to Washington or Missouri . I guess I’ll just have to have it delivered and hope for the best.
    I finally got to see one of my top-pick bandsaws (hammer N4400) at the woodworking this weekend. If I was able to pull the trigger on it, you'd have a heck of a deal on a Laguna 14BX.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I'd say you're not a bandsaw guy, 2hrs in 20 years. I put two hours on mine every other day when processing boards and turning blanks.
    I am not a band saw guy, currently own 3 bandsaws. One from the 50's 19" 2hp Rockwell made for schools, maybe 15 minutes use in last 2 yrs, Grizzly Go555 picked up in Pa early 2000's from showroom, ShopSmith that came with a ShopSmith, I have never used. Had a cheap 3 wheel Delta it got used probably less than 20 hours, owned it 30yrs, gave it away to a young guy starting wood working.
    My favorite saw is a panel saw(3), Safety Speed Cut H-5, 100's of hours on it. Radial arm saws(4) next. First stationary power saw.
    Rarely use a band saw, however would not want to be without one.
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 02-11-2024 at 7:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Should I buy direct from Grizzly or thru Home Depot?

i can get the GO 555 from Grizzly or from Home Depot which is a few miles from my house. HD would probably make is easier if there are any delivery damages to return it. which do you think would be a better way to buy it? Home Depot will match the sale price
    thanks
    Dennis

It took HD five tries to deliver a toilet to our local store that wasn't broken into a dozen pieces. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    i can get the GO 555 from Grizzly or from Home Depot which is a few miles from my house. HD would probably make is easier if there are any delivery damages to return it. which do you think would be a better way to buy it? Home Depot will match the sale price
    thanks
    That is actually a good idea to buy it through home depot, but remember you still need to get it home but shipping weight is only 200 pounds. On HD web site, it's $928, so they jack the price up for shipping. However if HD actually matches the current sale price of 625 and doesn't tack on the extra for shipping, you make out like a bandit. I know Roger posted that it took 5 tries to get a toilet delivered but a bandsaw isn't a toilet. Ironically I had 3 toilets delivered to HD for pick up in store and all 3 were fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    It took HD five tries to deliver a toilet to our local store that wasn't broken into a dozen pieces. Just sayin'.
    Well, Roger that's pretty scary but I would think that Home Depot would not keep the bandsaw in stock and would simply order it directly from Grizzly to be delivered to me. Again the issue is simply returning if the product is delivered damaged. I want to avoid having to ship it back to Grizzly, if I get it from Home Depot, I can just put it in my truck and drive it to my local Home Depot.
    Dennis

Blog Entries

Thanks for your advice, I ordered the Grizzly GO555 bandsaw

I ordered the Grizzly GO555 bandsaw today directly from Grizzly. It was on sale, for $625, so I saved $170.
    The customer service and tech people at Grizzly were very helpful.
    Thanks for your advice, which, as usual, was very helpful.

I do think I might buy some stock in a freight company, the freight with liftgate service was $229
    Dennis

Congratulations on your BS, if possible pick up couple good blades. I always favor 1/2 wide but also keep 1/4 on hand.
    Couple stories to share:
    I work with guy who cut the tip of his thumb off while pushing piece of wood on his BS . He said that he wasn’t paying attention. One more:
    I also work with guy who became woodshop teacher at high school. During cls he was ripping a piece of lumber experience a kick back. That kickback took off three fingers. He was very thankful, if not hitting his hand it would have hit his stomach causing even more damage. Point being nothing is 100% safe, being in shop requires our attention all time.

what does that mean became a teacher.

Congratulations on the new saw.

Warren, he was in maintenance dept where I also work. He went night school and received his teacher certificate for I believe building trades. He taught woodshop for about 10 years then retired