Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14” bandsaw for $1,000 or less ?

Blog Entries

14” bandsaw for $1,000 or less ?

I had a kickback on my table saw today. The wood hit my hand, hurt like crazy and resulted a couple of cuts, a trip to the doctor and 3 stitches. Could have been a lot worse if it hit my face.
    I don’t make furniture, mostly small cuts for the intarsia I make. If I has a decent bandsaw I could have used it to make the cut that kicked back.
    Is it possible to a reasonably decent 14” bandsaw with a fence for $1,000 or less?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Grizzly has at least two 14 machines well under 1k that are worth considering.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I would think you could find a descent Delta 14" bandsaw in that price range. Assuming the tires and bearings are in good shape, that particular model has a number of after market accessories available including fences, guides like those from Carter, and riser blocks that will increase the resaw capacity. My previous bandsaw was a Delta 14' with an enclosed stand that I picked up for $400.00. After a couple of years, the motor blew and I replaced it with a higher horsepower motor. Mine came with the Delta fence system, but I took it off and use the Carter fence. I also use the Carter guides and a riser block. Even though I have since upgraded to a larger Laguna, which is probably my favorite power tool in the shop, I have kept the Delta and with a 1/4 inch blade, I use it for a lot of curve work.

Keep your eyes on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace if you are willing to get one that is used. There sure is a lot of 'junk' out there but I suspect you can find one in good shape if your are patient. Like Paul mentions, there are 2 from Grizzly but shipping is $199 for a machine that cost $795, so paying 25% more for the machine seems a bit nuts.

There was a bunch of sales that usually happen in January, like 10% off JET (which usually has free shopping). I am not sure where you are in NJ but maybe you can get lucky and snag up a floor model from the Rockler Store in south jersey.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Woodcraft has a Rikon for 1400 (after 10%) and free mobile base. I know it’s not less than 1K but you can ship to the store for free.

Otherwise, I’d say used market is a good idea as pointed out above.

I have the grizzly 14 inch deluxe and an pretty happy with it. I have a bigger saw that in in the process of restoring s will and hype to go to a scrolling/ curve saw and the big one for resaw in the future.

Check your local woodworkers clubs as well. I've seen a couple old deltas go for under 200.

Do you really need a 14" saw?

See this thread:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....0-quot-bandsaw

I ended up going with the Wen 10".
    While it's a decent saw, I think the Rikon would have been the better choice - only because there are a lot of after-market goodies for the Rikon
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Mentally, I hope you went back over what went wrong, why kickback. It has happened to me, what I was ripping was a twisted 2x4 which I never done again. Let’s learn from our mistakes so they don’t go wasted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Mentally, I hope you went back over what went wrong, why kickback. It has happened to me, what I was ripping was a twisted 2x4 which I never done again. Let’s learn from our mistakes so they don’t go wasted.
    Carroll
    Thanks for your concern. I did go over what i did wrong , and the issue was, obviously, Me, not the saw. I know what I did wrong and that's why I'm looking at a bandsaw
    Thanks
    Dennis

Excellent used 14" Delta saws come up in the $5-700 range all the time around here. There are enough of the around that the aftermarket parts suppliers have pretty much all the replacement parts you might need, plus some nice upgrades (like a big handwheel for tensioning the blade) that you could add and still stay well under your $1K budget.

Grizzly has their 14" on sale thru 2/14
    The Classic 14" Bandsaw - Grizzly Industrial
    basically save enough that freight is $29
    I have had one for 20 yrs and it is a good saw for me, probably have about 2 hrs total run time. It is there if I need it, just not a band saw person.
    Ron

Blog Entries

Should I drive up to Muncey PA to pick up my Grizzly bandsaw?

I’ve decided to buy a Grizzly GO555 bandsaw. I’ve heard so many horror stories about saws being delivered broken that I’m tempted to drive up to Muncey (Muncy?) PA and pick up my saw. It’s about 225 miles so I could do the round trip in a day. I’m not trying to save the shipping as the drive will cost nearly as much as the shipping, I just want to make sure I don’t get a broken bandsaw.
    What do you think, should I go pick it up or take my chances and have it delivered?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I’ve decided to buy a Grizzly GO555 bandsaw. I’ve heard so many horror stories about saws being delivered broken that I’m tempted to drive up to Muncey (Muncy?) PA and pick up my saw. It’s about 225 miles so I could do the round trip in a day. I’m not trying to save the shipping as the drive will cost nearly as much as the shipping, I just want to make sure I don’t get a broken bandsaw.
    What do you think, should I go pick it up or take my chances and have it delivered?
    Thanks
    Assuming it's used? Grizzly hasn't had their PA showroom since 2015!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

for that money or a bit more seen enough pro bandsaws for sale over the years. They require power and space most hobby guys dont have from from a value point of view they are a bargain compared to that. Even on smaller sites or facebook market place there must be some decent used stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Grizzly has their 14" on sale thru 2/14
    The Classic 14" Bandsaw - Grizzly Industrial
    basically save enough that freight is $29
    I have had one for 20 yrs and it is a good saw for me, probably have about 2 hrs total run time. It is there if I need it, just not a band saw person.
    Ron
    I'd say you're not a bandsaw guy, 2hrs in 20 years. I put two hours on mine every other day when processing boards and turning blanks.