Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who Stands with Alex Snodgrass on Drift?

because this is veering a bit off track and I like a bit of controversy - I offer you folks this video from our ol' buddy AS in which he tells us to adjust the fence :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKx9CxAevW4

33min. mark is the place to be

There's also this dity from him advocating the same advice - though he is tryin to sell us a specific type of fence + companion jig:

SO..............................disciples of AS, I ask you - does his flip flop change your tune ?

Alter your opinion of him ?

Re-consider your position on adjusting the fence to deal with blade drift ?

-or- find it a big yawn ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    because this is veering a bit off track and I like a bit of controversy - I offer you folks this video from our ol' buddy AS in which he tells us to adjust the fence :

33min. mark is the place to be

There's also this dity from him advocating the same advice - though he is tryin to sell us a specific type of fence + companion jig:

SO..............................disciples of AS, I ask you - does his flip flop change your tune ?

Alter your opinion of him ?

Re-consider your position on adjusting the fence to deal with blade drift ?

-or- find it a big yawn ?
    This, and many other reasons, are why I refuse to listen to his advice, inconsistency.
    I've said it before and I'll say it one more time.
    Adjusting the fence to the blade is ridiculous and severly limits the saws capability. The use of sleds and other jigs that ride in the miter slot are rendered useless if the blade does not cut parallel. The blade has a built in tracking adjustment to fine tune the alignment, why not use it.

My original thought was to determine if a home-use type bandsaw in reasonably good condition could be setup/tuned to eliminate drift. What I’m understanding is the answer is yes. It sounds like if you have everything square, a good sharp blade, guides properly set and the blade set on the tire properly, you should be good to go.

it has been fun reading the responses. Thanks to all of you who have contributed.

Plenty folks on YT seem to copy his methods, to the extent that they haven't realized that he is...
    not just the business, but in in the business!
    If you've seen folks uploading a video with a new bandsaw, chances are they might indeed be poised as such.
    Likely pull your back out by attempting such.... sure looks awkward, and an easy way of messing the cut up,
    though maybe their tryin to be the next (insert brand) too, and making sure you can see the face and read the logo.
    1791800B_Act1_606b.jpg
    Saying that, perhaps their simply unconfident with a brand spanking new machine..
    From some I've seen, I would feel the same TBH.
    You might come across some mention of blades exiting out where most stand.
    Dangerous of area bandsaw .jpg

And note most Italian machines either side of the fence is optional...
    Take what looks to be amongst the oldest logistically transportable consumer bandsaws from Italy,
    (which came with a rip fence, and not using a power feeder.)

CO 450.jpeg

Never had a blade snap on me, but I get the feeling a blade exiting the machine has happened to a few.
    Screenshot-2022-4-17 Resawing revisited - The Luthier Community(1).jpg

Merely assumptions though, I should ask Grant this in the youtube comments.
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 02-17-2024 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vince mastrosimone View Post
    My original thought was to determine if a home-use type bandsaw in reasonably good condition could be setup/tuned to eliminate drift. What I’m understanding is the answer is yes. It sounds like if you have everything square, a good sharp blade, guides properly set and the blade set on the tire properly, you should be good to go.

it has been fun reading the responses. Thanks to all of you who have contributed.
    I took a few pictures a while back to illustrate this exact point. I know this is only a 2x4 but it proves that ANY saw can be tuned to cut straight and parallel to the fence.
    IMG_3574 (600 x 450).jpgIMG_3581 (600 x 450).jpgIMG_3586 (600 x 450).jpg