Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Levels: Curiosity?

Levels: Curiosity?

More of curiosity questions:
    Does price indicate the accuracy of level or material it’s made out of or both? To me if bubble between lines and equal on both sides of line then it’s level or plum. Right?
    I have few projects coming up where a 6’ level would be nice. Once these projects are done then it be occasional uses after that. I have craftsman 2’ level that’s about 30 plus yrs old which is all I have. I bet it is as accurate as these 300.00 levels that HD sales.
    I see price of levels are all over place from 20.00 and up to moon. If you needed say just general purpose level, what would you buy? Yes I am looking at Harbor Freight for 6’ level
    Suggestion and thoughts please

Of course it's an indicator. It's also gives you insight into the consistency of the quality level that product is delivering.

It IS NOT an absolute guarantee though.

Go to the Harbor or the Depot and test 5 levels and you're very likely to find at least one that's off. Good thing you only need one of the 5. Go to the speciality shop and test 5 Stabilas and you'll almost certainly not find one out of spec. Does that warrant spending 10-20x the price of the HF 6 footer ?

To me if bubble between lines and equal on both sides of line then it’s level or plum. Right?
    Yup ! The Romans built up the world using the same logic.

My answer too your question is : I'd buy a Stabile if I was going to use it again and again...........and that's exactly what I've done. However, if I just need a tool for one project only I'd get the HF and live with less creature comforts and inferior feel. And , I've done that too.

The bubble centered only tells you that the vial that the bubble is in is level...it doesn't tell you if the "level is level". That's where quality comes into play for both accuracy and sometimes for durability, too. So I'm in agreement with Dave. There is no harm, particularly for "non professional use" in selecting a mass market product, but if there are five on the shelf, check all five to see if they register the same. If one is off, don't pick that one because "most likely", it's not assembled accurately. If you are going to be doing professional/commercial work or prefer what is normally "the best" because it will get a lot of hard use, go for the top quality brand like Stabila.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am happy with cheap levels. I bought a Stanley 4' level about 9 or 10 years ago and have used it for several buildings and some repairs. If the level reads the same when you turn it end for end, then it's accurate, as I understand it.

I have a bunch of levels for different purposes including some good ones and some cheap ones. I needed a 3' one for tiling a shower but of course you can't find them easily. I bought a cheap plastic four foot level from Lowes and cut it down. I checked it in the store. It's perfect for that job with the plastic being very easy to clean the mortar off of. Just check them in the store before you buy one. The digital ones are very handy for some things, but those only get used and have batteries put in them when I need one. The more expensive ones are generally just made to put up with rougher handling.

My most used level is this one: https://www.johnsonlevel.com/P/1625/...icTorpedoLevel

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johnson-Lev...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I am happy with cheap levels. I bought a Stanley 4' level about 9 or 10 years ago and have used it for several buildings and some repairs. If the level reads the same when you turn it end for end, then it's accurate, as I understand it.
    That's how I check mine.

When I was putting in a drop ceiling, I used a section of cross piece about 5 ft. long with a torpedo level two faced taped to it.
    It worked as well if not better than the 4' Johnson plastic level I had.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The bubble centered only tells you that the vial that the bubble is in is level...it doesn't tell you if the "level is level". That's where quality comes into play for both accuracy and sometimes for durability, too. So I'm in agreement with Dave. There is no harm, particularly for "non professional use" in selecting a mass market product, but if there are five on the shelf, check all five to see if they register the same. If one is off, don't pick that one because "most likely", it's not assembled accurately. If you are going to be doing professional/commercial work or prefer what is normally "the best" because it will get a lot of hard use, go for the top quality brand like Stabila.

Do you know how to check your level? if I bought another level, it would be a CRICK..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-11-2024 at 10:12 AM.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Do you know how to check your level? if I bought another level, it would be a CRICK..
    Ive had a Crick level, made in Missouri, for over 20 years now; an excellent tool, when I purchased it I wanted it to be the last level I'd ever buy and it has been.
    I don't have a six foot level, I've made a few different straight edges that the level clamps to in 79', 83", 95" for door jambs etc.. If you'll only need a six foot length ocassionally, this may be a more affordable and customizable option. A four foot level fits in the cab of my truck., a six footer wont
    Another good level brand is Sands; I was given one a few years ago after a garage clean out and its a nice level.
    All wood levels like mine do require an amount of care- kept clean and an oil treatment once in a while; if that doesnt sound like what you'd like, Stabila is a good choice I think and they warrant their vials.

Over the years I have had them all, and all I have now is Stabila. They just stay true. They are not bothered by bad weather or humidity swings. Bubble fits the lines and is easy to see. Not sure I could justify if I was a hobbyist, but as a pro they are a one time buy.

I do have a Bosch electronic angle level, kinda clumsy but has been accurate for about 30 years.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 02-11-2024 at 11:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    I’m not sure if CRICK still does, but tyey use to offer custom made levels. I had several trim carpenter friends who swore by them. One had to have bubbles replaced. He sent it in and came back like new.,great company, but not cheap..

You certainly don't need a level with an accuracy of 0.0005"/ft. Nor does it sound like you need a custom level, or one that's built to survive daily use.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    You certainly don't need a level with an accuracy of 0.0005"/ft. Nor does it sound like you need a custom level, or one that's built to survive daily use.

need and want are totally different. If it’s helping me make a living, I may choose to have a custom level. I don’t need it, but I may want it..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-11-2024 at 11:35 AM.

What you pay and what is good enough is your decision. Personally, I would not buy a level from Harbor Freight. If I did I would check it for level the minute I got home. You might have to buy 3 to get a good one. I bought a Bridge City level decades ago for machinery setup. I took it in to my day job when they bought a 5'x10'x3' Z axis CNC router. The factory rep showed up with a super quality Starrett machine level and didn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    need and want are totally different. If it’s helping me make a living, I may choose to have a custom level. I don’t need it, but I may want it..
    Did I miss that you were the original poster jack?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

If you want accuracy you need to understand the principles on which it relies. First rule of thumb don't trust, check and verify. Whatever price you pay for your level, always assume that it is not perfect and as has been stated by several people, always flip it 180 degrees to confirm. Same as for vertical, check on both sides of a post.