Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Levels: Curiosity?

Here is my most accurate level. It's a David White I bought in the mid 1970's. A scientist friend and I tested it for fun across a stretch of the lake the we determined on a map was 1/4 mile wide. We allowed for the curvature of the Earth being 8" per mile. Using 2" wide gaff tape on a target, it was about as close to dead on as we could determine on a day when the water was completely still. I have always used it for foundations and setting cabinets. Requires two people but makes a 1/16" division on a ruler look like it's a foot wide inside a house. It has never bounced around in a truck. I carry it in the cushioned case on a seat to where I need to use it. Still works like it did when it was new-automatic leveling once you get the bubble in the center.

It's a Builders Level, not a Transit. It only shows level, has very fine crosshairs, great optics, and I think it's 20 power but don't remember exactly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-14-2024 at 1:30 PM.

An old one, with a plumbob, and a spirit level one.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 132804.jpg Screenshot 2024-02-14 133334.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I you want accuracy in this realm, find a gunner's quadrant (M1 or M1918). Lives depend on them.