Thread: your stihl the one, but you might not be

your stihl the one, but you might not be

Have an MS250 for maybe 10 years worked hard and always good. Today it wont start but before I can try more im having trouble with both caps. Past the oil cap has always been a pain and doesnt go on and lock correctly over half the attempts. Today gas doing the same Ive spun the black and the white parts to both ends of their rotation and tried many times and its always canted maybe the oil is okay now but visually it looks a bit canted as well.
    Why do these caps do this?. Ive never had any gas powered tool where at times the lids just dont want to go on and lock correctly.

Blog Entries
    My Stihl MS250 is also a pain putting these caps back on.

The little ears are in a pattern that only goes back one way and my first try is always the wrong way.

I have thought of making a mark on the case to show which way to line it up, but haven't done it yet, maybe next time it is used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There have always been complaints about the flippy caps. I have them on a couple of things. They will only go in to lock in one position only.

thanks, I tried 30 times with both in different positions and no luck

both are back on now and fine Tons of posts on them from people that are less than impressed. At least im not alone. I get all has to be clean and likely need to push in same time as well as liine stuff up. One part rotates on the other and that is what throws me where things are supposed to sit before going back on. Past the gas was always fine and the oil never was. Im careful its clean and not overfilling.

Blog Entries
    At least im not alone.
    Thanks for posting this Warren. Now I know it isn't just me.

It's those dang designers that create things they are never going to use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

yeah, its simple stuff and i cant see the logic of why it does that and it was always the oil one. This time murphy decided to make both act up. If you notice you can spin the parts and have them sitting in two locations and I figured maybe it wasnt turning right and was in the wrong position and I just needed to rotate one part. that was still not working. I did see one guy on the net took the tip of a knife and kind of pounded on the black part pushing it into position and got it to lock but that should not be needed.

It makes sense that all is very clean of course. Anyone know if there is an adjustment of any sort? you know how some things let you adjust an aspect so when you snug stuff down its just right. Sort of the same as the adjusting screw for the bat to move it in and out. Likely not but thought wise it relates to do we have to push in same time before we turn or not. That is maybe the part that turns extends in a bit further otherwise its hitting and not spinning to the new position. Maybe not explaining it well.

thanks at least im not crazy. Ill drain the gas out thats in it and get new Vpower and have their oil so start fresh. I had put an old chain on as there is still some gnarly silver maple here and friend taught me past when its impossible to split just slice into discs.

further to that ramble is it possible that the gaskets that are there become unseated or sit angled or have swollen up and gotten thicker making it more so we need to push in some amount same time? also along that thought pattern likely not used the saw since this current maple was chopped up and brought back. So sitting maybe three four months today first time to use it since.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-12-2024 at 8:03 PM.

I remember there was a reason for the change, but I forget what it was. I like the old style screw on caps. You could fill them all the way up and not push any out by putting the cap on. Also, you could clean off around the bottom of the cap pretty easily before opening it. Not a change for the better.

What is the point of these new improved caps? Sounds like they are made of two pieces instead of one. Can you just replace them with the old style?
    BilL D.

They aren't really That bad. They're probably at least 15 years old now. It's a recessed bayonet lock built into the tanks. The cap will go in multiple ways but only one that the flip lever will lock down into. There is a relief on the side that the flip lever goes down into. Just need to pay attention. They're flush when closed with nothing sticking up like the old twist off caps, so I expect it was some kind of safety reason that they changed the design a good while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What is the point of these new improved caps? Sounds like they are made of two pieces instead of one. Can you just replace them with the old style?
    BilL D.
    The point is that you can't over tighten them and they are easy to open.
    I just replaced an O-ring on one of mine the other day, they do get worn out over time.
    Other than that, they work fine for me.