Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Completely overthinking first table saw purchase. Please help

Blog Entries
    I payed $1600 for my Unisaw and you would be lucky to get mine for $1500 if I was selling.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I payed $1600 for my Unisaw and you would be lucky to get mine for $1500 if I was selling.
    Here they're worth about $500.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    240v breakers (double pole) are indeed more expensive than the single pole breakers used for 120v circuits. So are receptacles and plugs, although what type you choose matters there. I use Twist Locks on 240v circuits. BUT....I also evolved to a system where the majority of my 240v equipment is on a single 30 amp circuit (covers all the bases for the kinds of machines I use) and only things like DC, Compressor and MiniSplit get dedicated 240v circuits. All branching is done in large j-boxes up high so it's "darn easy" to be able to move existing or add additional drops should I acquire more tools. Now this works for a one person, single phase shop. Multi-person shops will need more granular 240v circuits.
    More expensive, yes. Not outrageously more expensive, as in not even remotely close to twice the price locally. While I'm at it, the mag switch on my unisaw spec's (and was originally wired for) no neutral.

That's roughly how my shop is wired. It's really very, very common to daisy chain 240v circuits.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post

They say that till they have to find one.I have the receipt and it’s one owner.

try and find a Biesemeyer fence
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-16-2024 at 9:59 AM.

While I'm at it, the mag switch on my unisaw spec's (and was originally wired for) no neutral.

That's roughly how my shop is wired. It's really very, very common to daisy chain 240v circuits.
    240v power tools generally do not use a neutral unless they have a 120v component, like an integral light or 120v outlets. (my CNC machine is an example of the exception because it requires both 240v and 120v on the same supply so it uses a four wire 240v circuit with a neutral) Yes, 240v can be "daisy chained", but it's a heck of a lot easier to do drops from j-boxes, especially when using 10 gage wire for 30 amp capacity. Even 12 gage for 20 amp can be ornery and especially when using the larger twist lock terminations that really fill a box. That said, it's good to have multiple ways of accomplishing things!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

1,600.00 for a used Unisaw? US dollars? Used SCM small sliders are no more than that. They have a good fence. My cabinet saws have Besmeiyers they are better than what they came with new but.

Blog Entries
    $1600 new….

What do you call a small slider?

there are three or four models one I got SI16 SF. 1,250.00 canadian and he would have taken less. I didnt ask for less but he expected it. I knew the price was fair as it was. Ive likely seen five sell for under 2k canadian in the last year or two. Most had a different and likely better slider system than this but it still works fine. Only been on generals but the SCM is five or more ways better than them.

I somewhat agree with Mike, but i also want to clarify that not all Unisaws were made equal.

The old 1-1.5hp bullet motors with the jet lock fences are definitely $500ish. It isnt a unicorn to find one, here are three.
    (5) Marketplace - Delta cabinet maker table saw | Facebook
    (5) Marketplace - Delta Unisaw (table saw) | Facebook
    (5) Marketplace - cabinet table saw 10” | Facebook

However, i think it is somewhat of a unicorn to find the 3-5hp single phase 'newer' unisaw from the 70s-2000s for $500. I remember years ago buying them for $200+/- at auction(3 phase), swapping them for single phase motors/controls and reselling them for $1300-1500. I did that 5-6 times, i bet. Looks like they are in the $1000-1500 range still with a bies or unifence. (5) Marketplace - Delta unisaw table saw | Facebook

If you have about $1000-1500 to commit to a saw, i think you would be best suited to a used unisaw. Powermatics always seem to command several hundred more. Ive owned two PM72s, but i havent had the pleasure of using a 66. I know they weigh 50lbs more than a unisaw, but they are most likely a very similar machine. I never cared too much about the left tilt versus right tilt discussion. They each have their advantage/disadvantage depending on the cut being made.

What kind of cabinet doors/drawers are you making? Shaker, or do you plan on getting a shaper/router table too?

Blog Entries
    The Unisaws in the links are older. The PM is like the Chevy vs ford. It’s always higher and doesn’t do any more, the 72 is too much saw unless you need the blade height..

The largest machines I own are 3Kw/4HP.

As an Electrical Technologist I took a more cost effective route.

At intervals around the 2 walls I have 4” square deep boxes with a 20 ampere 120 volt duplex receptacle and a 20 ampere 240 volt receptacle fed from one 2 pole 20A GFCI breaker.

I have a 15A circuit for lighting and a 20A 240 volt circuit for my cyclone, that’s it.

The above gives me 2 20 ampere 120 volt circuits for portable power tools and a 20 ampere 240 volt circuit for machinery.

All devices are straight blade, locking receptacles are a waste of space and money unless ceiling mounted in combination with a strain relief such as a Kellems grip.

Regards, Rod
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-16-2024 at 4:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I doubt it. There will be competition, but they ain’t stupid enough to give it away cheap..

I think you just want options.
    You'll likely be waiting a good while longer - and may not even see what you seek.

The SS patent(s) that keep other players from joining the game are a moving target and will almost certainly keep the competition on the sidelines for the foreseeable future.

n.b. - there is at least one competing tech on the market now but it only comes on sliders costing $50k +/- and it ain't trickling down to hobbyist level.

Blog Entries
    Right now Sawstop has the market. We can’t all buy sliders…

Blog Entries
    I think where you live has a lot to do with what might be available on craigslist and marketplace. I used to live in Ashburn, VA. A suburb of Washington, DC. That was an excellent used tool market. Lots of money in the area I suppose. Tools in really good shape consistently available.

In 2021 we moved to Raleigh/Durham area. I'd say a lesser used tool market here. Really well taken care of tools are i'd say the exception rather than the rule. Most of the tools for sale here are really worn or neglected rather than something you'd want to buy.

PHM

probably a function of a number of things. IM not far from Toronto and lots of shops have gone down over the years, likely towards or over 100 id think and that gives us a chance at machinery that is up and running in production usually at the time they do an auction. being set up to travel and move stuff is good.