Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Winter!

What Happened to Winter!

Here in south Tx. it seems the last few years that Winter has completely
    skipped us. I think we had 1 day in Dec that it got down to 35 deg.
    I usually begin my Tree, shrub, & flower bed work the last of Jan, but it
    has been in the lower to upper 70's since Dec! & everything is blooming
    so I can't cut stuff back like I usually do. I know you folks up north
    are thinking, what is he complaining about? but I miss the real change
    of seasons that we used to have....Seems like we have skipped
    Winter again and went from Fall to Summer here. Is it different in
    the Northern states? Is it warmer than usual?

shhhhhhhhhh! we`ll talk about this in a few months...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

What Happened to Winter!

We've had our share of freezing weather, and the mountains are close to record amounts of snow. We also have had close to record consecutive days of rain at 33. This morning it was 35 and clear skies which is normal.
    During the rain period it has definitely been warmer than usual for January
    and caused some plants to sprout and bloom early. I would say in general it has been a strange winter, but overall not that much different here in the NW.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

We're hearing that we are supposed to get some more winter type weather next week here in North Texas. Don't know if that just means cooler weather or some frozen stuff. Jim
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 02-06-2006 at 1:05 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Depends on your location "up North"! Here in northern Idaho.....near record highs. While the Cascade Mountains maybe have record snow amounts, New Years Eve day I drove my daughter's fiance nearly to Montana on US 12 before we saw any snow on the mountains. Highly unusual small amount of snow due to record temps. We could be in for another dry, long forest fire season!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The weather report this morning indicated that there will be some air mass shifting in the next week or so, bringing some colder weather. And the groundhog also said there will be 6 more weeks of "winter"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The ground hog always says there'll be another 6 more weeks of winter. And he's never wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lewis
    The ground hog always says there'll be another 6 more weeks of winter. And he's never wrong...
    For some arbitrarily low value for "winter".

It's 8:45AM, 67 degrees, headed for low 80's. Which wouldn't be too bad except that there's a good-sized brush fire about 7-8 miles upwind from here: I can barely see the sun.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

9. Well we got it here in Tokyo, it is snowing to beat heck here now, I took some pics, I'll post them....

Cheers!

10. Some pics of the front of my building...

I know for most of you this is a big "So What" but here in Tokyo, if it don't melt by noon, the city will grind to a halt.

They are saying rain by morning and mild by noon....Hope so, I'm supposed go to the wood lot tomorrow...
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Well we got it here in Tokyo, it is snowing to beat heck here now, I took some pics, I'll post them....

Cheers!
    Stu, was wondering is it a milder winter compared to others there
    in Tokyo this year?

12. Up until the new year is was very mild, but in the last month or so, it has turned cold (for Tokyo) beer sales have been off a lot!

Winter finally showed up here in the Caralinas not in full force though but with recent highs in the 60's and 70's, 45 feels cold.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

It’s alive & well here in Alaska! I spent my third consecutive Super bowl Sunday on Kodiak Island . The good news is that the temps are getting back to normal here, ~35 degrees. The bad news is, so are the winds – constant 25mph with gusts to 45mph.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ain't been cold enough this year to say that we've had winter. Means that the bugs and skeeters are gonna be real bad this year!!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.