Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Winter!

What Happened to Winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley
    Hi Joe, you might take another look at the forcast, chance of snow wed.
    Here in the Seattle area the weather forcasts are about as unreliable as they could possibly be. Sometimes you wonder if they couldn't just look out the window and do a better job. On a given day between the local newspapers, various TV stations, weather channel and cable provider weather forecast they could all be different. One online forecast now says rain and 30 for Tuesday, and sunny Wednesday. Now at 30 you might Another says rain Mon-Tue then sunny but colder, snow level 6000 feet. The National Weather service shows chance of rain Tuesday then a chance of snow Tuesday night, cloudy Wed, chance of snow Thursday. We are at 800 feet so if anyone in the area gets snow we usually do, in fact we may get snow when there's none a few blocks away. I guess we'll have to do like usual and just wait and see.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blizzard???????

Well, we're getting snow, about 14" so far, but the dire predictions of blizzard winds and conditions is just so much BS. It is falling gently, though heavily and the temp is about 23 degrees. Nice light fluffy stuff which the snowblower should make short work of. I don't envy you folks who are getting the heavy wet stuff.

I had to come up out of the shop. With the woodstove going it got too hot to work 81 degrees and I was starting to sweat.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    Here in the Seattle area the weather forcasts are about as unreliable as they could possibly be. Sometimes you wonder if they couldn't just look out the window and do a better job. On a given day between the local newspapers, various TV stations, weather channel and cable provider weather forecast they could all be different. One online forecast now says rain and 30 for Tuesday, and sunny Wednesday. Now at 30 you might Another says rain Mon-Tue then sunny but colder, snow level 6000 feet. The National Weather service shows chance of rain Tuesday then a chance of snow Tuesday night, cloudy Wed, chance of snow Thursday. We are at 800 feet so if anyone in the area gets snow we usually do, in fact we may get snow when there's none a few blocks away. I guess we'll have to do like usual and just wait and see.
    Yes Joe, your right, I am only about 40 miles from you. I remember a time they predicted rain and it snowed for a week! Being retired now, I really am hoping for snow, tired of the rain I live a few blocks from the Narrows Bridge, so the water and wind seems to keep it away. I will have to make it up your way some time to say HI, as long as you have nothing
    against old, long haired hippies

PS. Just to add a bit, just came in from mowing the yard, has to be in the mid 60's, T-shirt weather !
    Last edited by Scott Donley; 02-12-2006 at 7:37 PM.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

What Happened to Winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley
    Yes Joe, your right, I am only about 40 miles from you. I remember a time they predicted rain and it snowed for a week! Being retired now, I really am hoping for snow, tired of the rain I live a few blocks from the Narrows Bridge, so the water and wind seems to keep it away. I will have to make it up your way some time to say HI, as long as you have nothing
    against old, long haired hippies

PS. Just to add a bit, just came in from mowing the yard, has to be in the mid 60's, T-shirt weather !
    Stop by any time, Scott, and right now I'm beginning to look like an old hippie too. This morning I got up to find a fresh 1/2" of snow and 32, the roads were clear but the trees, lawn, cars and all are nicely covered. Driving into Bellevue there was less and here at the shop nothing and 35. Remember the forecast said Wednesday, this is Tuesday.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

5. Well it warmed up today, I was at the wood lot slicing up logs, and I had to take off my jacket, then my hat, then my sweatshirt.... WARM for Feb in Tokyo, 17C or about 63F, sunny, blue skies with just a few puffy clouds, sureal, this time of year is usually the coldest in Tokyo, but hey, I'll take it

Stay warm guys!

Well I guess we finally got Winter here for about 4 hrs! it got down
    to about 37 deg at my house Sunday morning but it was back up
    to mid 60's by afternoon. Forcast for today is 75, tomorrow 85!!

What Happened to Winter!

Sure is winter here now, 25 this morning and supposed to be down to as low as 10 by Friday. Naturally this is the weekend I promised to go up to my parents to prune their fruit trees.

Sammamish, WA

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak. 5 degrees with the wind chills in the -20.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak. 5 degrees with the wind chills in the -20.
    It's definately back here too. 3 degrees here with the windchill down to at least -20 and the snow keeps coming down.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

I dont know what the deal is with this winter. 70 degrees yesterday and its snowing outside right now.
    Last edited by Bryan Somers; 02-18-2006 at 10:54 AM.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

68 degrees here yesterday, now it's light snow and a fair amount of sleet and freezing rain. Temps were 28 degrees about an hour ago and the temps are starting to drop. I thought themp normally dropped at night?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

8 below this morning with a nippy little breeze up here in Minneapolis / St. Paul. Come on up and enjoy! (Gotta get heat into the shop!)

Bob
    Redbob

Yesterday it was 48°.

10° right now and the wind is moving wicked fast.

Just checked and weather.com says that it feels like 22° below.

Nice blue sky though.
    Only the Blue Roads

When I decided to go to bed last night it was 15 below zero with a twenty mph cross wind..Trust me winter is definately still here..

Nate

Well, we got back in on Saturday. 89 degrees at Fort Lauderdale. Then the saga started. Don't know why, but only made 550 miles first day. Had to stop over in Georgia. Got up and noticed that the temperature had dropped. As we pass Atlanta, it starts to rain a little, by Chattenooga, the rain was freezing on the roads and windshield, warmed back up a little around Nashviille, but found the front and the temp dropped again and the snow started in ernest. Had to stop at Paduka and wait out the storm. This morning, it was cold, but the roads were clear, so we eased in today with several stops at Antique malls.

Guess the weather gods decided I should PAY for now for NOT being here for the 10 below wind chill they had last week.

Bruce