Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

LOML was gone from mid day Sat thru Sun afternoon late visiting her sister and new baby. So I had the 6 dogs to myself for the weekend. Leisure Sat. am, with a little shopping, afternoon had me installing a new carb on the lawnmower, and keeping the dogs out of trouble. Also finished cutting up the tree I had cut down last weekend. Sunday late am mowed the Rye grass in the back. Then I played in the shop for about 1 1/2 hours. Planning some more on the ducting. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Spent a lot of time in the shop. First I made a hose hanger for my new Festool vac, then a router mortising jig, then put a dial caliper on my planer for a more precise readout than the factory scale. These are all detailed in other threads.

I also got the shop all cleaned up, including a very messy spill of epoxy hardner under the cabinet where I store my glues. What a mess!

Friday night, enjoyed the family.

Saturday, Buffy and I took the kids to Wonders of Wildlife, the fish and wildlife museum here in Springfield, pretty cool, the kids loved it.

Got some shop time, scraped the faceframes of my corner cupboard, then switched over to some ball and claw feet at the end of the evening.

Church Sunday, painting in the house, Superbowl (yawn) then a little more carving last night.

All in all a good quiet but full weekend.

Cal

I did quite a bit of sanding this weekend on the boys beds. I started putting some poly finish on the caps that will remain natural. The rest will be sprayed blue. I got the rest of the bed sanded, then wet down to raise the grain, then more sanding. Hopefully next weekend I'll spray them and be done. Did I mention I did some sanding?
    I also had some fun at a party where there happened to be a lame football game on.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Ditto here on the show in KC. Went all three days. My favorite time was when I went from 4-6 pm on Saturday. There was barely anyone there, and I got to talk to whoever I wanted at the booths.

Like Scott said, the show was about a half the size it usually is. Hopefully it comes back in full force next year. Aparently, the old management from the expo hall jacked up the prices of the booths, which ended up scaring away a lot of the little guys, and some of the big guys. New management came in and did damage control, but it sounds like it was too little too late.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Worked Job #2 all day Sat. Came home pretty pooped, though I did get a surprise visit from Karl Laustrup and his family, which helped brighten the day a bit. Sun., hung up a couple mirror frames I made for LOML during the week, repaired another "weird" frame she has (got broke during the move 2 years ago! ) and got a nice piece of BE Maple prepped and done to hang a simple display for my daughter. I needed to relax a bit anyway, so I watched that comedy the NFL put on the tube Sun. evening. Hope everyone has a super week!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

confused

What is this weekend thing ya'll keep talking about? Is it something pecular to you folks that work? I keep seeing these posts about " weekend accomplishments" and am getting worried that I may be falling behind. If this IS something just you working folks have to worry about, then I am ok. If not then I need to figure a starting point and an ending point to see if I am getting anything done. Any help on this confusing matter would be appreciated.......doug

Saturday morning was spent helping the LOML's uncle load up a front end loader (loader only not tractor) he had bought from my mom. Saturday evening the we went with the neighbors to Lousinana, had to do my part in the Katrina recovery effort......left all the money we took there!!

Sunday was spent rubbing down the cradle I just finished and cleaning up the shop getting ready for the next project, I think this one will be a mantle clock for my wife's nephew's wedding present. I also was able to get the yard pretty well cleaned up it finally dried out enough to get on it, it sure was looking shabby.
    David

Went to that bummer of a woodshow in Kansas City. As others said, it was a drag.
    But I did really enjoy the breakfast meet with the others that showed up!!!

Blog Entries
    Not a lot of contact with the wood shop over the weekend. Did manage to quickly whip out a pool cue rack Friday. A simple affair made out of a healthy piece of oak ply with fancy "breadboarded" ends. When I got purchased my pool table, it came with the mounting pieces that hold the cues, so I am using them. I did need to fabricate two hangers for the eight ball and nine ball "ball racks" and that was done on Sunday afternoon. The project is having a Waterlox finish applied and I guess I will post a pic when it is done. I wanted to have it mounted in the bar room before the Daytona 500 opened up the seasons weekly visit by "The boys".

In between Friday and Sunday afternoon, wifey and I took the drive down to Cape May to visit with my Mother and my youngest Brother. We took my Mom out for her birthday to her favorite place. Jeez, we couldn't talk her out of the place - a darned diner of all places. I have to admit, the food was great and the portions were leviathon!! Enough for two meals. Well, it was where she wanted to go........so. She is doing ok these days since she is now in the house by herself since my Dad died this past year.
    Last edited by Fred Voorhees; 02-06-2006 at 5:11 PM.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Went the Hearne Hardwoods on Friday and picked up what I hope is all the cherry I will need for door panels and door fronts for my cabinets - yeeeouch, wallet is stinging a bit from that one. Funny how small a $750 pile of cherry is - man is it georgeous stuff tho. Rough milled, wrapped and labeled the rail and stile stock from my existing stash and hope to get to final milling and routing it this week.

Jim, how was the Disturbed show? I have been meaning to get out and see them when they come though town every now and again but scheduling never works out.

Saturday I did some final tweaks and tune-ups to the new Incra system on my TS...works great, BTW. I did a couple of test box joints using only the Incra and the Freud box joint blade set -- no other jig or key -- and both 1/4" and 3/8" tests were perfect. Also cut a small stack of 1/32" thin strips from a piece of pine 1 x 4, just because I could. Also did the final sanding (to 1500 grit) on my most recent quilt pattern cutting board. Pics and details to be posted later.

Sunday's WW time was spent cutting and assembling a redwood frame for a trellis SWMBO managed to get on the top of the honey-do list when I wasn't looking. Got to play with my little Delta pneumatic stapler, which almost makes the backache worth it.

- Vaughn

Actually spent time closing up my small garage shop. Just putting things away and waxing all cast surfaces etc. It finally got cold here in NC and since my garage is not heated, I'm moving indoors. I'm spending the next few months "inside" building my first acoustic guitar. If successful, it will be a vintage Martin dreadnought design with appropriate binding and inlay work. Big challenge for me but something I've always wanted to do.

Saturday I took my laser engraver along to a local woodworking store to demo it at their open day. Great fun, but no actual woodwork really got done....my new bench, my son's chess table, my Hammond organ bench seat, my new cherry entertainment center, bowls, marquetry etc. all still await attention!

Dave F.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox
    Jim, how was the Disturbed show? I have been meaning to get out and see them when they come though town every now and again but scheduling never works out.
    Larry, this is the Jagermeister Music Tour (small venues) and it was absolutely wonderful. I saw them in at the Verizon Wireless Theater (2500 people max) here in Houston. They are an arena band, but were killer in a small club setting.

Santa left me two tickets in my stocking this Christmas. In return, for part of my wife's b-day she's is getting two tickets to Rob Zombie in May at the same theater.

PM me sometime.