Thread: Just for fun: What would you build?

Just for fun: What would you build?

I grabbed this rock maple slab with only 1 live edge side at the wood working show. I had no real intention of what to do with it. It is 8/4, 36" long, and 12" wide at the narrowest.

What would you do/build with it? Or post up a photo of some wood you have with no planned project and see what others would do with it.

PXL_20240212_182945290.jpgPXL_20240212_183001893.jpgPXL_20240212_183023686.jpg
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I might resaw it into 4/4, and use the two slabs as the book matched (across the live edge) doors for wall cabinet, with the the gap between the doors filled with a vertical themed stained glass design (probably not symmetric, but rather spanning the two doors). Would look for some similarly brown.white hard maple to complement it for the sides of the cabinet, and probably put a drawer underneath roughly as deep as the brown maple part of the slab is wide, fronted with similarly brown or variagated maple.

I'd saw off the ragged edge and then cut it in half to create a book matched pair of boards for something. The "live edge" adds nothing for me.

I would cross cut into three sections.
    Then declare them cutting boards on one of them I would sign it Sam Maloof just for fun.
    Its a good look board.
    Aj

I might make a small built in desk

Blog Entries
    I need to see a close up of the end grain to know whether or not to recommend making an instrument out of it. It looks like a hunk I would try to get a back, sides, and neck out of. It would have to be called rustic with that dark wood. I like rustic. This mandolin was made from a single, very similar, rustic board (excluding the spruce top & trim).

https://mauricemcmurry.wixsite.com/m...ctave-mandolin
    Best Regards, Maurice

I would clean up the flat surfaces and use it as a floating shelf featuring the natural edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I would cross cut into three sections.
    Then declare them cutting boards on one of them I would sign it Sam Maloof just for fun.
    Its a good look board.
    Maybe in half, it's only 36" long so each cut would be under 12" after it's cleaned up. This is an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I might make a small built in desk
    I would 100% do this if I needed a small desk somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I need to see a close up of the end grain to know whether or not to recommend making an instrument out of it. It looks like a hunk I would try to get a back, sides, and neck out of. It would have to be called rustic with that dark wood. I like rustic. This mandolin was made from a single, very similar, rustic board (excluding the spruce top & trim).

https://mauricemcmurry.wixsite.com/m...ctave-mandolin
    I have no clue how to make an instrument. The grain looks riff sawn from the quick glance I looked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    I would clean up the flat surfaces and use it as a floating shelf featuring the natural edge.
    I love natural edge shelves and built a bunch for my house already. It's a perfect use for this if I knew someone who needed one
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Blog Entries
    If you have the ability, I think getting thick veneer out of it and turning it into matching / flowing drawer fronts and door fronts on a desk, built in whatever
    Yes, I have 3 phase!