Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutter, clutter, clutter

Blog Entries

Clutter, clutter, clutter

I’ve worked in some pretty good shops. Organized, good movement. I’ve worked in shops that were too small and too much equipment and shops that saved everything.

it seems that many have that theory that the most stuff at the end wins.

there are those that only think about what they can buy, collect, etc and those that think what I need to get this job done.

my shop at one time had nice flow , but a shop I worked for went out and I was given most of the lumvpber and it’s screws up now because of it.

Whats your excuse?

I’m too cheap to throw out anything I might need some day! 😎

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    I’m too cheap to throw out anything I might need some day! ��

We’re you on”Hoarders”

I always have the urge to do projects but dont always have projects to do. I save these scraps to make something with. (coasters/cutting boards/whatever I can think of ). I dont build enough of a pile to be dangerous as this is a hobby for me.

Too many years with very little and too poor to buy more. So, started buying one new tool with each side job. Bought my contractors saw(2cd saw I bought) and the Woodmaster 712 planer after working all summer overtime. The panel saw was bought for building cabinets for a store. Has been very handy since. Floor Drill Press came later with more overtime money. Craftsman Radial Arm saw bought 12/94 was bought after working 4 Sundays in a row overtime, month solid not time off. SawStop ICS was bought with inheritance money from grandparents who passed 30 yrs earlier. Mother kept it from until just before she passed. J/P was used and in pieces, so got it for $500, 15" wide belt sander was bought with short term disability insurance check. Stroke sander was given to me. Other tools bought from money set aside each pay. Now can't hardly move in shop. Got lot more made when I had inexpensive tools. young, didn't know I could not do what I was doing and made it work. Tools keep coming slowly and no place to out them. Older I get the more the damage from physical work when I was younger, motorcycle crash, etc shows up. Still above the grass so still buying tools, haven't used them in 2 years but still think I will get back to working wood soon.
    Ron

I am the opposite. I hate clutter and scraps. But I love fire. So I burn some very nice walnut when I run out kindling. I even burned any live edge from the mill years ago. My son kept bugging me to make live edge stuff so I stop burning the live edge. Made lots of $$ on that clutter.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I always have the urge to do projects but dont always have projects to do. I save these scraps to make something with. (coasters/cutting boards/whatever I can think of ). I dont build enough of a pile to be dangerous as this is a hobby for me.
    My scrap pile grows until I box half of it up for daughters fire pit.
    My problem is I have about 1000 bd ft of kiln dried lumber in basement and feel strongly the need to go buy another 500 bd ft of common cherry 3-5' to put down with the rest.
    Ron

I have a small basement shop so it has to stay clean and organized, also I can’t stand disorganized shops.

My fire pits helps get rid of scraps and mistakes.

Regards, Rod

I moved from a 156x54' building to a three car garage. You have no idea!

I have been at every extreme of this. Depends on what life 'phase' you are in.

Consider this 'Swedish Death Cleaning' trend: https://www.nbcnews.com/better/healt...-it-ncna816511

My son has already told me he has no idea what to do with my shop when I die. Maybe one of my daughters will have interest, but in reality other than a handful of items they likely will not want any of it. Of course then it can be a fire sale on CL/facebook to trolls looking to take advantage of just such dynamic.

I'm not a fan of clutter, for the most part. I like doors and drawers (and toilet seats) closed and try to put tools away immediately after use or at least shortly thereafter. I'm very guilty to keeping off-cuts and oddball hardware hanging around, although it's less of an affliction than it was in the past. Cleaning out the old shop, especially the upstairs, prior to moving was a clear sign I had to "do better", as it were. (I took more than half a ton of "stuff" to the recycle center during the cleanout plus what ended up in the normal trash over a period of weeks) Now I will admit that having a larger, open shop space is helping with things as is moving from what was a "shop evolution" of a couple decades at the old shop to something completely new/pristine with lessons-learned to help.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I’m not a fan of drawers. I’ve seen how there neat and organized , but as a shop grows thing simple get thrower in there.

I don't really have that issue with my drawers as with only two exceptions, they are not open spaces...they have organization in them and are also labeled. The two exceptions are the drawer that I put rolls of tape in and the one that my drill for pocket screws plus mixing cups, etc., for adhesives and resin live.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I’m not a fan of drawers. I’ve seen how there neat and organized , but as a shop grows thing simple get thrower in there.
    Takes discipline, nothing more. Big fan of drawers. Keep dust off and easy to organize with a lot less visual clutter.

I don’t keep off cuts and like Jim, I clean as I go, sometimes sweeping/tindying in the middle of a project. I cannot be creative in chaos.

as far as what happens when I no longer can get in the shop or dead. My wife has met the family auctioneer numerous times and knows to get ahold of him for the auction, which mover to use to move it to the local fairgrounds and which building to rent for the auction.
    Ron