Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutter, clutter, clutter

In my fantasy I have a double garage just for woodwork and another one for working on cars. There is a dust collection system with additional little lasers that zap any stray grains of dust, an air conditioner for the heat of summer(it never gets that cold in winter), and all the wall space I would ever need to hang cabinets and drawers. Oh, and benches which can fill with tools and still have plenty of clear space to work. And lighting ... must not forget that. Oh oh and wooden floor boards rather than the stained concrete I live with.

Once this is done, I can start building furniture.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I hate clutter as much as the next guy, and I tend to keep cut-offs for a while and once I toss em, it helps but I never toss them all. I do need more storage for tools and other things. I just finished a project and i think my next project is a major shop clean up/overall.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I’m not a fan of drawers. I’ve seen how there neat and organized , but as a shop grows thing simple get thrower in there.

That’s not a function of the drawer Jack, it’s a failure of the user.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    That’s not a function of the drawer Jack, it’s a failure of the user.

Regards, Rod.
    The 'Function" of the user, Rod.... the function; not failure.
    (I "function" the same way )
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Many failures there are….

I save everything, thinking I'll use it one day. Then I get fed up with the clutter and throw out everything, thinking I'll never actually use it. Then I need it and can't find it. Then I remember I threw it out. Then I go back to saving everything again.

It sounds counter-productive. But it actually works surprisingly well.

Blog Entries
    I have a problem about hiding things in the shop so they don’t get scratched, etc. problem I hide things too good and can’t find it..

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I have a problem about hiding things in the shop so they don’t get scratched, etc. problem I hide things too good and can’t find it..
    I notice that myself Jack as I get older😏

Regards, Rod

The lumber scraps problem went away when I learned of a non-profit that makes toys for underprivileged children. All my small hardwood gets turned into building blocks and donated. No issue in that regard since.

Toolwise though.... I'm guilty of a few impulse buys that turned out to not be very useful and are just taking up shop space.
    Spring's coming though.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    The lumber scraps problem went away when I learned of a non-profit that makes toys for underprivileged children. All my small hardwood gets turned into building blocks and donated. No issue in that regard since.

Toolwise though.... I'm guilty of a few impulse buys that turned out to not be very useful and are just taking up shop space.
    Spring's coming though.

Bryan

Do you have a link?

no use for drawers, they go in cabinets and take floor space where machines can go. Common to read I dont have the space for, I got rid of this machine for more space. Past guys had one roll around two drawers and doors below. Often stayed beside the work bench then could also roll over to where they were working as well.

on the wall all is in view and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Bryan

Do you have a link?
    Craftsmen For Kids. - I recently became a member after cutting blocks for them for a couple years. I should amend my earlier post a little bit. We make educational toys for young children.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Craftsmen For Kids. - I recently became a member after cutting blocks for them for a couple years. I should amend my earlier post a little bit. We make educational toys for young children.
    Thanks I may try to purge this summer

Blog Entries
    I just threw a 20 year old drawer cabinet away. I would rather have the footage than the cabinet.

I see a lot of woodworkers showing these drawer stacks for hardware. I started throwing unused stuff away. I can order online or drive to tye hardware store. I’ll let them store it..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-20-2024 at 9:04 AM.