Thread: Any "alien head" planer users out there?

Any "alien head" planer users out there?

A client is passing one on to me that belonged to his father, also a Craftsman jointer- a better model than the common one.
    These were stored since maybe the '90s. Tricked out with extension tables, dust chute, retracting wheels, etc. etc..

I'll be either cleaning them up to sell or passing them on to a guy who restores machines as a hobby.

Looking at the manual online, there is or was a knife setting jig. Anybody have one?

IMG_4761.jpgIMG_4759.jpgIMG_4762.jpgIMG_4760.jpg

I would suggest looking on the Old Woodworking Machines Forum-https://owwm.org Lots of good info there.
    Rick

Blog Entries
    A widow lady I work for has her late husbands alien head up in her attic. I have helped her with the selling of her late husbands tools. Some tools did very well on eBay. I will be back at her house eventually. I will be on the lookout for the knife setter.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Craftsman didn't make any machines themselves. If you know the model number, the first three numbers will tell you the manufacturer. An example would be 351.xxxxxx where 351 designates the maker. Maybe with the info you can find something on OWWM.

Thanks. They were made by King-Seeley.

There are about 60 photo posts on Vintage Machinery.org & the majority seem to have been acquired from a little to no use situation, restored, and maybe still not used much.

A charming and compact machine, and an relatively easy restoration project.

Thanks, Maurice. Just getting a sense of how the jig registers would be good, & it may not be too hard to rig up something similar.