Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collector vs. Shop Vac for Grizzly G0513x2 Bandsaw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Haley View Post
    Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger on the Harbor Freight dust collector. At $100 off, I couldn't resist the temptation to try it. Thank you to all who provided advice. It is truly a learning experience, and your input is valuable.
    You will find several threads on here and elsewhere of folks using these machines. There are a lot of good examples of tweaking the system to make it work best for varying situations. Congrats.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn, the magnets are a slick way to make it work. I need to study on mine and make something up.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

The Cisco sign is just a piece of sheet magnet I use to cover the lower factory collection point.
    Shoot, I thought you had created a manly piece of IOT gear.

Judging by what is left after several dust collector emptyings I'd say your mods work very well. And yeah, a shop vac ain't gonna cut it for that application.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Shoot, I thought you had created a manly piece of IOT gear.
    That's right. This Grizzly Bandsaw Bastion Router not only enforces your security parameters . . . it re-saws violating packets and builds little urns out of the results in which to to bury them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Haley View Post
    Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger on the Harbor Freight dust collector. At $100 off, I couldn't resist the temptation to try it. Thank you to all who provided advice. It is truly a learning experience, and your input is valuable.
    You may have realized it by now but the harbor freight upper bag claims 5micron, but i bet it is more like 20 or 30. You are going to see dust poof out of that every time you turn it on or tap on the bag. You really want to upgrade that when you can to a pleated filter that is 1 or 2 micron. Bandsaws, especially if you are doing fine work with a high tooth-count blade generates a fair amount of fine dust which will blow right through that filter bag.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    You may have realized it by now but the harbor freight upper bag claims 5micron, but i bet it is more like 20 or 30. You are going to see dust poof out of that every time you turn it on or tap on the bag. You really want to upgrade that when you can to a pleated filter that is 1 or 2 micron. Bandsaws, especially if you are doing fine work with a high tooth-count blade generates a fair amount of fine dust which will blow right through that filter bag.
    You can also get bag filters that actually work from 3rd parties. I had a 1 hp DC from Woodworker's Warehouse. Hit the power button and the top filter would inflate tight as a drum. I thought that was good, It wasn't, the bag was tight because it couldn't pass enough air. The filter from americanfabricfilter.com would just hang limp when I hit the start switch which is what is supposed to happen. Bag filters do have an advantage over cartridge filters in that they're easier to clean, just beat the outside of the bag.

Elmer,
    For general bandsaw use, I'd highly recommend a shop vac with homemade dust shroud immediately below the table.

Rob Cosman's video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_tqnqrRww

Some other comments:
    • For the under-table collection point, I think you want the higher velocity of the shop vac, compared to the high volume/lower velocity of the dust collector, but you can experiment with both
    • I'd recommend getting a good filter on your shop vac
    • The harbor freight DC's bags do not do a good job of filtering out fine dust -- you'll want a good respirator if using these

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Elmer,
    For general bandsaw use, I'd highly recommend a shop vac with homemade dust shroud immediately below the table.

Rob Cosman's video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_tqnqrRww

Some other comments:
    • For the under-table collection point, I think you want the higher velocity of the shop vac, compared to the high volume/lower velocity of the dust collector, but you can experiment with both
    • I'd recommend getting a good filter on your shop vac
    • The harbor freight DC's bags do not do a good job of filtering out fine dust -- you'll want a good respirator if using these
    Putting additional devices for dust extraction under the table is not necessary and totally unneeded and the reason seems to be little understood. The lower cabinet is sealed when the door is closed and air can't be extracted and the dust settles into the bottom of the cabinet. To prevent that happening an inlet port is needed so air can flow into the cabinet replacing the air extracted and then the system works. Some bandsaws have two ports and presumably the manufacturers have woken up and realised that make up air is required for dust extraction to work at all.

On my saw all I do is put a small scrap of timber between the door and the cabinet to hold it open and the cabinet remains clean and debris free. Some owners add vents into the door which works but a scrap of wood is easier and cheaper. Try it and see the difference. Some owners also add above the table extraction as well but I have not found that necessary though others may.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening