Thread: How do I flaten veneer?

How do I flaten veneer?

Bought some nice looking large curly maple veneers at a very reasonable price thorough our woodworking club. Has some "ripples" in it. How do I get these flat? Thought of maybe a steam iron then clamp between two pieces of MDF but with wax paper between them or something like this? Never worked with veneer before. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Blog Entries
    I have always relied on the laminating process to force the veneer flat. I use a press or cauls to hold the veneer flat until the glue drys. Vacuum techniques are intriguing. I have not tried laminating with vacuum. There are good threads about using vacuum in the archive here at SMC.
    I have used an iron in conjunction with contact cement techniques and with hot melt techniques. I also have some veneer that I considered too wavy to use stashed away in the attic, pressed between MDF.
    Best Regards, Maurice

When I was making a table using crotch mahogany which also was wavy. I made mixture of alcohol and glycerin, which I can’t remember mix, but I would spray both side and let it soak in. Next I would sandwich veneer between news papers using several layers. I had couple pieces of 2’x2’ from solid core door as cauls that I would sandwich newspaper and veneer between cauls. I change out newspapers every couple days till it was dry.

From Joe Woodworker's website:
    https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/flattening.htm

Hope it's OK to post this. But his website always is the first place I look to remember how to deal with veneer.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

5 parts water and 2 parts vegetable glycerin. You can add a little yellow glue in the mix also but I don't like the idea of that personally. If you don't want to make your own, there's quite a few commercial products available but cost is quite a bit compared to homemade.

Forgot to mention, also use the sandwich method Carroll described above. Also forgot to mention 1 part alcohol. Lastly, you'll find a bunch of different homebrew formulas out there but they generally have the same ingredients.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 02-19-2024 at 8:29 AM.