Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: We need more trade schools

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Too bad Sears Robucks didn’t get into ….Sears Robots. Maybe they just couldn’t stop looking at their manikin Girlikans.
    Stop Mel, I just spilled my coffee on the keyboard! Your killing me here!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Funny you should mention that.

These robots have been around for years but they're only getting better. This was in the news a few days back.
    https://mashable.com/video/autonomou...ion-monumental

It'll still take a crew of people to transport load/feed, and maintain them, but they're here to stay
    Not to hijack the thread, but actually, the electric car charging robot struck me as something that could really work in apartment buildings to partially solve the problem of not enough charging spaces, and the huge expense of outfitting multiple spaces in an apartment building with electric car chargers:
    https://mashable.com/video/parky-rob...hicle-charging
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I think the whole AI thing is extremely overblown. There is certainly some potential there, but it won't be revolutionizing the workforce. Currently, it's interesting, but mostly useless. As more and more web sites are locked down to prevent data scraping, AI becomes less and less capable. I don't know about this forum, but on a Vintage Mustang forum where I participate, we often see ridiculous questions posted by a BOT. It's just some AI engine trying to scrape data for some unknown, commercial purpose.

I have worked in IT for decades. It used to be cool. Now it sucks. Cybesecurity has taken over.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 02-27-2024 at 9:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I think the whole AI thing is extremely overblown. There is certainly some potential there, but it won't be revolutionizing the workforce. Currently, it's interesting, but mostly useless. As more and more web sites are locked down to prevent data scraping, AI becomes less and less capable. I don't know about this forum, but on a Vintage Mustang forum where I participate, we often see ridiculous questions posted by a BOT. It's just some AI engine trying to scrape data for some unknown, commercial purpose.

I have worked in IT for decades. It used to be cool. Now it sucks. Cybesecurity has taken over.

I've worked in development for decades. Cybersecurity is paramount, as we're actively in a cyberwarefare footing. With actual nation-state-actors in the mix.

With regards to AI, people are already using it to code their stuff. It's meh. However, support teams are rapidly deploying AI chatbots. Very rapidly. They'll start to replace 'knowledge workers' soon.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

AI is comparatively in its infancy and it will learn and this is the basis of a lot of the concern.
    I remember years ago it was stated that without the computer chip design programs the next generations of processors could not be created.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I've worked in development for decades. Cybersecurity is paramount, as we're actively in a cyberwarefare footing. With actual nation-state-actors in the mix.

With regards to AI, people are already using it to code their stuff. It's meh. However, support teams are rapidly deploying AI chatbots. Very rapidly. They'll start to replace 'knowledge workers' soon.
    Sure cybersecurity is paramount. But the people in charge aren't technical. They merely quote policy. Then, when some hackers in Bulgaria gain full access to the network and steal terabytes of data, we get more policy.

I liken AI to self-driving cars and EVs. Again, much potential, but nowhere near what was predicted any time soon.