Thread: Jet 1000 air filtration: blower won’t stay on

Blog Entries

Jet 1000 air filtration: blower won’t stay on

I can see the blower fan start but it’s like a relay won’t latch.

I kind of thought that controlling that thing electronically was a solution looking for a problem. Is there any reason I can’t bypass the electronics and put in a rotary switch for fan speed and a timer switch? Is there anything funny about the motor that I should know? Like it’s some sort of dc servo thingy?

I have had my Jet air filter for many years but suddenly started having issues. The remote would no longer work. I bought a new one (ouch) and it will turn the filter on but that is it.

I wish there was a way to bypass the electronics.

Blog Entries
    There are buttons on the control panel that are supposed to do what the remote does. They don’t work either.

Blog Entries
    I have that unit. I also have an old JDS unit that lost its mind. I bypassed the remote with a 3-step pull chain switch like one might find on a ceiling fan. The motor has three taps for low, medium, and high speeds. I wired the switch accordingly, drilled a hole to drop a pull chain . . .

JDS-750-Field-Mod (3).jpg
    I added a pilot light to let me know when the power is on.
    JDS-750-Field-Mod (2).jpg
    I used a consumer grade remote switch rated for 15 amps.

JDS-750-Field-Mod (1).jpg
    I hang a remote from my apron that controls my two vacs and the JDS ambient cleaner. The remote simply powers the circuit on or off at whatever speed I last had the pull switch set to.

JDS-750-Field-Mod (4).jpg
    So to answer your question, YES, you can do a field mod to get around a failing remote circuit without replacing it. I started with a simple on/off pull switch I had laying around powering the medium speed. For a few bucks on Amazon I got the 3-step switch and am happy with the current mod.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Thanks Glen,
    I didn’t see your post until just now because I was in my shop taking the thing apart and I saw what you reported.
    I think I’m going to go with a three way rotary switch and a timer switch like you would use on a bathroom exhaust fan.

I stand by my observation that the electronics add complexity but not a lot of benefit. I don’t see this device as one you would want to turn on and off. It takes time to circulate air and filter out the particulates. My habit is to turn it on and set the timer for several hours.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 02-21-2024 at 2:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    HA!
    I wired up a 3-way switch for the blower and a mechanical 6 hour timer. I just need to get someone to help me hoist it up to the ceiling. It’s not that heavy but it’s really awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    HA!
    I wired up a 3-way switch for the blower and a mechanical 6 hour timer. I just need to get someone to help me hoist it up to the ceiling. It’s not that heavy but it’s really awkward.
    I've done mine with 4 long chains and carabiners starting with the unit on the ground. You can move it up each corner of the chain a few links at a time, and have the vast majority of the weight held by the other chains. This has worked great for me on a few occasions.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I just pulled it up by one corner using a rope tied to one corner and through a pulley hooked to one of the eye-bolts already installed on the ceiling. Tied the rope off on my bench, then just climbed the ladder and hooked it up with all 4 chains...easy peazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I've done mine with 4 long chains and carabiners starting with the unit on the ground. You can move it up each corner of the chain a few links at a time, and have the vast majority of the weight held by the other chains. This has worked great for me on a few occasions.
    I figured this out also..... works for me, no way could I do it alone any other other way (I'm 5ft 5"...135lb)
    Plus I start it about 2 feet off the ground (set it on something or other) so I only have to raise it less than 6 feet (8 foot ceiling in the garage)
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 02-23-2024 at 7:10 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”