Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell Delta 34-395 saw, worth keeping?

Rockwell Delta 34-395 saw, worth keeping?

I bought one at an online auction sight unseen. About 3 hrs away so I never went to see. Hauled it home today bigger than what I was thinking. Just looking for experiences or opinions on this. I have a 10" now and thinking this should do every thing and more.100_2391.jpg100_2392 - Copy.jpgHere is my 10" and I would remove the fence and put it on the 12" saw. Problem is I no longer have the old fence from the 10" and the one on the 12" will not work well.100_2394 - Copy.jpg

Thoughts? Bad idea? Or is BIGGER better?

Hauled this home also100_2395 - Copy.jpg

In an employment there was one I had to use at times. Lot of shops have several of them . I suggest buying all the spindles sizes if
    available. You can buy knives or grind your own . The knives were all thin , which made the grinding easy .
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-20-2024 at 9:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Neither of those are worth keeping. You should give them to me. : )
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think you might like cutting wood with a 12 inch blade.
    You might like it so much never want to go back to a 10 inch saw. That’s what happened to me. My saw will cut 4 inches above the table. I’m not a professional cabinet or professional anything so I can go a year or more before the blade needs sharpening.
    Good Luck
    Aj

What size arbor is on that 12/14 saw? Is it a stub arbor that can be switched out? Some guy on the bay was making replacement spindles to order for about $180. Some some one has a nice write up on adding a riving knife to that saw.
    Be aware the belt spacing on the drive pulleys is not a modern standard.
    Bill D

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....knife-retrofit

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ding-saw/page2

Note, all? the threads on the arbor stuff are lefthand threads.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What size arbor is on that 12/14 saw? Is it a stub arbor that can be switched out? Some guy on the bay was making replacement spindles to order for about $180. Some some one has a nice write up on adding a riving knife to that saw.
    Be aware the belt spacing on the drive pulleys is not a modern standard.
    Bill D
    I do not think it has a stub arbor that can be switched. It is a 1"

I am still on the fence but leaning towards keeping it. I have a friend who will want it if I pass. Plan to wire it up tomorrow and fire it up.

That’s a good idea to get it running and make some test cuts. Hopefully you have a good blade that meant for a tablesaw.
    Dont forget to tilt it @ 45 and see if she can make clean rips. Thats a often over looks quality of a good tablesaw clean 45 rips.
    Good Luck
    Aj

The Delta 12/14s are great saws. I had one for a number of years and the only reason I got rid of it was I got a 12" x 8.5" slider. The extra real estate is nice. Most of them are three phase, and the Brett Guard might indicate that it came out of a school shop, as that's the only place I have ever seen them. The only minor drawback is that the blade is set a little farther back from the front edge than on a normal 10" saw, but it doesn't take long to get used to.

The shaper is a Delta Heavy Duty, and is only heavy duty compared to little benchtop shapers and router tables. They normally run 3/4" tooling but 1" spindles are also available. They aren't really big enough to run 1 1/4" tooling. That being said, they have been used to make millions of windows and cabinets.

A 12/14 is one of the few tools that I miss. Had one and a PM66. When I bought a slider I had to make room and kept the 66, smaller and left tilt. Was a great saw, worked well with a feeder.

Thanks to all. After reading comments and links above I went to the manual and it does have a stub arbor.100_2401.jpg I reached out to the school to see if they have one to run dado blades. I need to figure out the fence situation now.

I know the shaper is light duty but, I got lucky and it came with 1/2" 3/4" and 1 1/4" spindles. Now I wish it had the router collet also.
    Last edited by Tom Yaegle; 02-22-2024 at 9:24 AM.

Grizzly made a copy of that saw. They no longer do and have no parts support anymore. There is no good source of stub arbors except used or the guy on ebay making new ones. If he is still doing it. A simple enough job for a machine shop to make.
    Bill D.
    Link is the guy I bought my arbor from on the bay. I think he makes them to order. I would ask for a one inch arbor price and see what he says. That is what I did. cost was the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16604332461...Bk9SR8aIwpq6Yw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-22-2024 at 11:40 AM.

My saw was about 50 years old when I got it. It was scary the amount of torque to unscrew the stub arbor. I am sure it had never been removed since the factory. Now it is a pretty easy job.
    Bill D