Thread: Plaster Grain Filler.

Plaster Grain Filler.

This is a piece of flake board that will be used in a spot not seen but possibly felt so it needed a good feel. Also it needed paint but without sucking up a lot of it. I troweled on a coat of wallboard plaster and gave it a light sanding. It took paint well and is decent in one coat. It should be fine.

Plaster filler.jpg

This seems like a reasonable method to improve shop walls if you have them. A second coat of plaster after sanding would be better and with a second coat of paint it should look really good.

That looks like it worked well, Tom. I think Plaster of Paris was used as a grain filler at one time. I've never tried it, but I think spackling compound would give an interesting look on open pored woods like walnut and oak stained dark, sort of like the chartreuse look.

John

I'm thinking you're talking about joint compound, not really plaster? Not sure what wallboard plaster is. Plaster of Paris is really just gypsum plaster, not much different than joint compound. There is a giant deposit of gypsum under Paris. It's used as gauging in real plaster so it doesn't take forever to set up. There are very slight variations in things sold as Plaster of Paris and gauging plaster, but there is not much difference.

Blog Entries
    An extension of the use of joint compound as an edge treatment for particle board or MDF that will be painted. Works well as you have found. As for filler, I have used plaster of Paris as recommended in one of the magazines. It fills well, sands super easy, and disappears when an oil based product is applied.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler