Thread: Is ANYBODY having success converting Photoshop path .ai files to .svg? (xTool P2)

Exclamation Is ANYBODY having success converting Photoshop path .ai files to .svg? (xTool P2)

I'm going to have to return my new xTool P2 laser if I can't find a way to laser cut the work path I make in Photoshop.

The xTool only likes SVG files and PS 2024 only exports .ai files. There are lots of online file converters, but the ones I tried don't produce SVGs that will work with xTool's XCS software.

I LOVE the laser, but if it can't do the job it has to go back.

Thanks!
    Al
    Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon
    ULS VersaLaser 40W 12 x 24"

Thanks, Dave, I will try each of those converters. I have tried several, but so far none produce a SVG that plays well with the xTool XCS software.
    Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon

.ai is an Adobe Illustrator file. If you have a Creative Cloud license you have access to AI already.

In Illustrator: File--> Export --> Export as --> select SVG from the dropdown. I don't have your machine, but it has worked well for laser applications on a couple machines for me, albeit my experience is limited.

Photoshop seems an odd choice for creating vector graphics in the first place.

Hi Roger!
    Thanks for the comments. I'm using Photoshop to select the subjects of my photos I want to cut out on the laser. It does a remarkable job selecting. I export the selections as AI file (the only choice for exporting a path).
    The xTool P2 laser only takes SVG and DXF (I'm not even sure of the difference. Tried one, and it failed the same as the SVGs)

I just got Adobe Illustrator and have not explored it much yet. If it has the same bitmap selection magic as PS, I can skip that part of the process. Then maybe IA will export what I need for xTool. Wish me luck!

Al
    Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon

SOLVED! .ai files converting to .svg in CorelDraw

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

For whatever reason, the .ai files created by Photoshop "Export Paths" would not convert to .svg except by CorelDraw. They might convert in Adobe Illustrator, but I wasn't sure how to do it.

Now I can keep the incredible xTool P2 laser and cancel my Adobe Illustrator subscription! And expand my business!!

Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon

why are you cancelling your adobe creative cloud? If I could start over I would have not wasted my time learning Corel and gone straight to Adobe Illustrator. and if you plan on engraving photos then your included photoshop will come in handy for that and more. The software side of things is the majority of what you'll be doing with your laser. Of course these are just my opinions and plenty of the users here stick with Corel and not much else. I suppose the learning curve is much easier but I found that Illustrator elevated my work significantly.
    Trotec Speedy 360 80watt, Woodworking, screenprinting, paper marbling and an all around assortment of art supplies.
    I make art, my laser makes money. which i spend on art tools like lasers.
    MAKE it 'til you make it.

I signed up for Adobe Illustrator in hopes it would convert the .ai path to SVG. I already had CorelDraw 2018 X3 which I forgot I had. So now I don't need Illustrator, and I save $22 a month.
    Al Stewart
    Tualatin, Oregon