Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw guide kits for a scm formula 600p

20240311_153823.jpg This is the problem we've been having

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    20240311_153823.jpg This is the problem we've been having
    Just to support you and let others see it's not just you Simon. You have to keep an oil can around just like an old steam locomotive. If you don't the bearing drags and even if you don't wear a groove, you wear off the face! Sorry, pic rotated somehow. And I get the idea they expect us to replace them a lot since the part number is emblazoned on the face!
    IMG_3130.jpg

It'd be interesting to know what you guys are comparing the results of
    guessing you also have the Woodmaster CT blade aswell Richard...

I linked Kris DeVo's here before, regarding performance w/carbide blade, here's the video, (timestamped to the cutting)
    https://youtu.be/uXLUxH0-EOU?si=jJE3ue-5zd0hUQ50&t=2940

And linked some videos from Mário Martins resawing channel also, just using regular non CT blades, and a 700mm wheeled Sicar machine.
    aswell as another video with a non new 3TPI blade w/powerfeeder, so a real telling test IMO.
    https://youtu.be/tvhPbNtJISM?si=Y7uR-RBqVnIj5X_q&t=122

Just a few I thought impressive, (I was having beam tension issues, with flat tires at the time)
    and seem to remember John giving off strong unremarkable vibes, stating something along the lines of things looking a bit slow to him!

I could link a SCM promo with Sam Blasco, resawing poplar, but I couldn't say I'm getting a feel of the cutting compared,
    not having sawn poplar before.
    Could link some more videos of the CT, but reckon not all too remarkable for John's taste.
    Perhaps you guys could point me to where you've based your comparisons, other saws perhaps?

Just noting plenty of old Italian saws alike still have the old thrust guides remaining,
    which IMO says a lot about the Euro style guides.
    Panhans 11692733-01.1691622904__.jpg

Tom

Sure Tom, lots of them left. But they have to oil the thrust bearing just as often as anyone else. These sleeve bearings and sawdust just don't play well together. I'm not resawing and that is not a Woodmaster CT. It's some roll of 3/9" bandsaw blade stock I bought on eBay. I make my own blades.

Not to say these don't need a little oil, as evidently the APA guide which is a standard size IIRC,
    is often used on Italian saws like mine, and a regular Euro guide system below, with the GL456 thrust.
    apa panhans.jpg
    I only found out recently that the side rollers can be oiled like so, if you can make out removal of the plastic plug.
    Screenshot-2024-3-14 Hema Bandsägeführung FS40 auf der Hammer N4400.jpg

Though I still am left thinking that the lack of a little oil is the reasoning for the need to buy another set of thrust guides.
    I've never oiled mine, using a 3TPI blade for ripping, as I didn't want the blade to be making contact with the guides in the first place.
    (I've welded a face onto mine, and the bronze bushing is bit sloppy now)
    Point being, I had experienced and seen results of the same, i.e sufficient beam tension in order not to need them,
    and spent a lot of time trying to figure out why, when my machine became intolerable,
    the whole flat tire thing, alignment thing, repairs, in whatever order you prefer, was a rather deep rabbit hole,
    whilst other things which one could speculate, sufficient blade tension in PSI , not important to me, having actually noted good results before,
    using many regular blades, though not carbide where it likely changes things...
    and during that time, to wear such guides out so quickly, the tire profile is what I'm guessing,
    and the carbide blade, which is likely tensioned accordingly, is hiding things.

Now, to find a video showing of someone using a carbide blade, not even on the same machine,
    but to see the setup, and how much force, whatever that be, i.e species, depth of cut, power feeder/speed, and whatnot, machine HP, wheel size, blade tension,
    whilst getting an idea of how much deflection that is, in order to rub of the thrust guides (for whatever length of time)
    is quite a challenge.
    Mário Martins videos for instance, gives a clear picture of a saw running nicely, not much rubbing going on there...
    pity as of yet he hasn't used carbide blades, as it would be of interest to see too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiphC3qWFvw

You might instead decide to have read John TenEyck's posts, and perhaps have read others here also, broad kind of statements with this blade,
    like it cuts whatever as fast as I can feed the timber through.
    I think John might well have posted some on that regarding, how much force it takes to make that thrust roller spin, with the Woodmaster CT
    Hopefully he or others could mention something, as there's a few folks here using carbide blades have mentioned giving their saw lots of use,
    and of those with Laguna's LT series machines featuring the same real rubber tires, I've not got the impression that they had such bother with their thrust guides,
    though how long those have had ceramic guides as standard, that might take quite a bit of digging in the archives to find.
    Edit: Jeez I forgot to note Felder's old FB line, Bridgewood, and Griggio, all having the same vulcanized rubber, and likely the same style guides,
    from the same factory as the SCM, in Novellara,
    so those would likely be easier found, should they stumble across such, perhaps one thread somewhere titled the reluctant bandsaw springs to mind.

I've not came across much on that really, and I've scoured the net on all things ACM.
    Just saying, if one is getting the impression these thrust guides are as consumable as one might be making them out to be....
    then that must only apply to carbide blades at maximum resaw height...
    as you don't really come across new guides on old Italian saws on ebayUK and the likes,
    much like you don't see carbide used in UK.

This from what I can make out is the only rational reasoning for the change,
    and beyond my pay packet,
    so I'll leave the carbide blade users to it.

All the best
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 03-13-2024 at 11:20 PM.

I've tried a lot of different guides on my Meber 600 which would be a similar machine. I'm super happy with the Carter guides now. Not the roller bearing ones, these are friction guides. If you look at the side blade guides they look like plows and that's exactly what they do. You can get them out of carbide and set them extremely close to the blade then are self cleaning. I'm never going back to a guide that incorporates a bearing, other than the thrust bearing. That blade is a 1" Lenox TriMaster and I tension it to 22,000 psi using a tension meter.
    Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Houghton View Post
    I've tried a lot of different guides on my Meber 600 which would be a similar machine. I'm super happy with the Carter guides now. Not the roller bearing ones, these are friction guides. If you look at the side blade guides they look like plows and that's exactly what they do. You can get them out of carbide and set them extremely close to the blade then are self cleaning. I'm never going back to a guide that incorporates a bearing, other than the thrust bearing. That blade is a 1" Lenox TriMaster and I tension it to 22,000 psi using a tension meter.
    Jay
    This is the guild I've been looking at I just want to make sure which kit fits a SCM Centauro made 600p bandsaw I am hoping Erik Loza would chime in (I do have experience with those carter guides on two Northfield bandsaws back in my Vo tech days at MCTC in Minneapolis)

I found fitting the right guide pretty simple. The guide itself is not the issue, it's the mount that goes from the post to the guide. It all depends on the offset of the post to the blade. But the guides have a lot of left-right adjustment (as you face the blade). also on the Carter site you can buy kits that might already be configured for your saw. They also have a service where you can plug in your saw and they'll quote the parts for you. (I realize you may know this already but I post for the benefit of others that may not be familiar)

This paywall piccy malarkey business surely has turned out to be a guessing game of sorts!.
    had another try to find Van Huskey's? posts on his retrofit to one of his Centauro's, to no avail.
    I'm still left thinking that it's an ACM saw, as I've not come across the formula name on the Centauro machines.
    i.e Centauro
    Screenshot-2024-3-15 Centauro CO600HD Industrial Bandsaw 1ph 240v.png
    and the ACM
    scm-formula-s640p-bandsaw-1.jpg
    The tires are vulcanized on the SCM saw from Novellara, whilst the Centauro has quick change types with a groove.
    Not to say they couldn't be dressed the same as the vulcanized real rubber, well at least once or twice I suppose, but more likely and seemingly so,
    a genuine replacement fitted to those machines, if google has anything to say about it.

All the best
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 03-15-2024 at 2:40 PM.

Oiling bearings is easy and can be done without removing the shields or the bearings from the machine. Drill a very small hole in the shield just big enough to fit the tip of a precision oiler in it and the oil is added at any time you feel the need. I doubt if any debris will get in a hole that size and give the sield a wipe now and then to keep it clean as fine debris and dust will get past the shilds on some bearings.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    This paywall piccy malarkey business surely has turned out to be a guessing game of sorts!.
    had another try to find Van Huskey's? posts on his retrofit to one of his Centauro's, to no avail.
    I'm still left thinking that it's an ACM saw, as I've not come across the formula name on the Centauro machines.
    i.e Centauro
    Screenshot-2024-3-15 Centauro CO600HD Industrial Bandsaw 1ph 240v.png
    and the ACM
    scm-formula-s640p-bandsaw-1.jpg
    The tires are vulcanized on the SCM saw from Novellara, whilst the Centauro has quick change types with a groove.
    Not to say they couldn't be dressed the same as the vulcanized real rubber, well at least once or twice I suppose, but more likely and seemingly so,
    a genuine replacement fitted to those machines, if google has anything to say about it.

All the best
    Tom
    It's definenty a Centauro saw not an AMC it has a Centauro lable on the back (BTW the paywall is only $6 a year about $.50 a month well worth it IMHO) also I've oiled the crap out of them and re faced them with in a day they have a groove in them

I'd myself, be looking to do some experiments so, provided if it's possible to remove the tire, and reinstall again (if the camber is still present, that is)
    along with having a cheap, say 3/4" blade for testing, preferably not a very hungry one, and definitely not an expensive CT blade!
    Test cut before changing things, on something suited for the blade in question, and take a video for yourself.
    Now for the next test cut, remove blade, and tire, install suitable tape of some type in the groove, and reinstall.
    Hopefully the camber will be acting as it's present again, and the tire still remains tight on the edges.

If even for just a test cut, it would be like night and day.
    I wouldn't be so eager to go mad doing test cuts beforehand, as you likely stand a very good chance of compressing the set of a regular blade, with tires which have lost their profile, and that's tracking as per Sam or anyone else, teeth off the wheels.
    The lack of beam tension is why.

My money is on, an absolute night and day kinda thing... and, if you have already a blade with compressed set, then doing said test will really drive that home,
    taking things to a will cut or won't cut scenario,
    You might not be interested in shopping for thrust guides after that.

I've documented the tire profile for the Centauro CO a good few pages back, along with all the rest.
    Indeed, "insufficient flywheel seal convexity an assumption", as you might have a power feeder stuck on your saw, and resawing at full depth too,
    but not getting the impression that things are so, because there be no mention in detail of feed rate nor anything that takes a video to demonstrate, and for something
    like this instance, a picture ain't going to tell folks much, seeing as the Woodmaster CT is so impressive.

All the best
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Oiling bearings is easy and can be done without removing the shields or the bearings from the machine. Drill a very small hole in the shield just big enough to fit the tip of a precision oiler in it and the oil is added at any time you feel the need. I doubt if any debris will get in a hole that size and give the sield a wipe now and then to keep it clean as fine debris and dust will get past the shilds on some bearings.
    We are talking about a sleeve bearing, no shields.