Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw guide kits for a scm formula 600p

Bandsaw guide kits for a scm formula 600p

Looking for an upgrade kit over the Eur. Old style guides for the band saw at work. We keep having problems with the Euro style guides. Tried the Laguna upgrade guides, but they wouldn't fit.
    And I'm just wondering if anybody else has any idea of what kit would work with this bandsaw?

Last edited by Simon Dupay; 02-22-2024 at 9:28 PM.

I can't see your pics as I'm behind the paywall,
    but could suggest if your wanting to run a narrow blade, then Sam's post on the SCM/Minimax forum might be of interest.

https://groups.io/g/MinimaxOwnersGro...48333628829229

and if you're not happy with that, then I'd suspect you've got "insufficient flywheel seal convexity", i.e the apex of the camber might be worn.
    On the Centauro tires, that apex not being on centre, but 1mm closer to the front of the wheel, and I would have no reason to think otherwise with the Novellra made Formula,
    so worth noting if tracking such a narrow blade on centre and wiping out that all important profile.

Just a wee lick of the tires, is likely all is needed, if so...
    provided the saw will cut right without needing anything but a single thrust guide, that's only making contact when cutting tall stuff, that is.

Perhaps though, you may have pictured something more challenging to the machines capabilities,
    but not using a better blade for the job?
    As they say a picture tells a thousand words! ???

All the best
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 02-23-2024 at 8:04 AM.

You may find that the original Euro guide just need thorough cleaning or maybe new bearings. They can get really gunked up over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've cleaned and lubed them several times but within a day they get gunked up and there's a groove in the thrust bearing. We've gone through about 4 or 5 sets of them. And at 50 bucks a pop, they're not cheap.

You sure make it sound like there's a lack of beam tension issue going on.

it's used for resawing 99% of the time

Safe wildcard bet you likely have been using carbide blades, and the accompanying hungry tooth count,
    on a machine with a motor to match the throat capacity if going by John's rule of thumb.
    Those three things...the fourth, not present yet (ceramic thrust guides, that is)
    all seem to disguise what might well be going on.
    I suggest testing with a regular 3TPI blade, if effort to see how thick of a non resinous species you can get cut,
    without the thrust guides making any/much contact with the blade.

That would say a lot about your tire profile if so,
    as would an old box of damaged, but still yet sharp, blades.
    That's my 2 cents worth on the matter.

Just for an interesting sidenote, just to muddy the waters here...and regarding my above thoughts in such.
    Resinous timbers, and possibility of flat tires, on such a machine...
    I'd not be surprised to read tales of..."jeez, it was running better when the tires were filthy!"

All the best
    Tom

I agree.

If you're going through guides at that rate - your saw is definitely not set up correctly.

Think of it like a constantly tripping circuit breaker ............ it's tripping is telling you something. Simply replacing with a larger breaker to stop the tripping isn't the answer.

Well, the proper on anyway.

I agree with Dave, how wide is your blade, are you tensioning enough, are you applying a lot of force pushing the wood thru the cut?

The thrust bearing should be spinning freely. There shouldn't be any way to wear a groove in it.

it's a Lenox Woodmaster 1" it's setup correctly, the saw doesn't have very good dust collection and the oillite gets all gummed up and they stop moving freely. I will add the lower wheel does not track the same as the upper wheel. I've just never been a fan of euro style guides.

We're just trying to move away from the eruo style guides

Space Age Ceramics make ceramic guides that can be installed in place of the bearings on your Euro guides. It makes more sense once you see photos of the product. E-mail them if you don't find your saw listed. They are very responsive and helpful. SpaceAge Ceramics | Band Saw Accessories, Thrust Bearings, Band Saw Guides, Band Saw Blade Guide If those don't look like they will work, you could also consider the Carter Micro-Precision guides. Micro-Precision Model 20 - Bandsaw Guides & Mounts | Carter Products I would not use the Carter ball bearing guides since they will likely end up freezing up, just like your Euro guides.

Still sounds like your Woodmaster CT blade isn't providing the same results as John.
    (I lost my post), but was mentioning if looking for ceramic to fit, then ACM's BS440 (specifically the education model)
    offers those types, but not on the others.

I guess the Laguna guides you tried had some sorta mounting arrangement as David's Laguna 24x17 saw?
    Screenshot-2024-3-1 Laguna LT 24 Bandsaw- My Custom Woodworking Shop Just Got Another Machine an.jpg

I don't need to look for guides thankfully, and my welded on faces will do the job, coz there's little contact now, compared to before.
    I think you might be able make out the deep slot on this APA guide.
    VFD bandsaw.JPG
    Not forgetting the associated tire wear to match

DSCN1700.jpg

Other guides like whats on Scott and Sargeant's website might be worth looking at, as well as whoever fitted art deco style ones to only one of their Centauro saws
    (Van Huskey perhaps?)

Other brands I'm aware of being Hema guides, much the same as the Panhans or cheaper option,
    and I suppose Carter do some over there too.

Not being sure of how wet things might be already, but there might be another factor here,
    and that might be worth looking into seeing Borson precision resaw services, he uses/used a small Italian saw with coolant,
    Not that I'd suggest such a thing, looks a good way to get a lethal rap to me.

All the best
    Tom