Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can't see it.... just can't see it...

Gauguin and Van Gogh got no love in their lifetimes, but their work sells for astronomical prices today, because it is recognized for what it is.

If I had a spare $100 million laying around, I souldn't buy one if their pieces, as much as I am drawn to them. However, I've been to many international art museums, including Vienna, and if I had the scratch when a Klimt work came up for sale, I'd jump.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Van Gough sold two paintings in his life. I think his brother in law bought them. He painted over older works to reuse the canvas as shown by x-rays.
    Bill D

if you have an extra 48 or 70 million around at least there is art work you can drive. I think I read they were increasing in value at least at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGuUzY3K2ik

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Van Gough sold two paintings in his life. I think his brother in law bought them. He painted over older works to reuse the canvas as shown by x-rays.
    Bill D
    Reusing canvases was incredibly common, going back as long as we know actually.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I do not recall the sizes of negatives used by Ansel Adams. If my recollection is correct he did have a camera utilizing an 11X4" format and an 8X10" format. He likely had others.

Making a print from a straight exposure from one of his negatives would not produce something that looked like a print Mr. Adams would make. He used a technique often referred to as "dodging" when making a print. This exposes some areas longer to darken them and blocking the light to other areas to make them lighter.

So the value is in the work of the person who made the photographic print.

I have a set of prints made from glass negatives from the Mathew Brady Studio. They were made in the 1970s. They are not worth as much as original prints that could be attributed to being made by Mr. Brady himself.

jtk
    You're correct. His prints would be very difficult to duplicate. Ansel used 4x5, 8x10, medium format, as well as 35mm.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Call me a peasant - but - to me, this is a work of art..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

XKE, yup Rich a work of art in design and execution as long as it was static. Marred only by an electrical system by Lucas Prince of Darkness.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I must say that I really feel sorry and sad for those who do not see the beauty and value in those Marden paintings. There are a lot of us, aren’t there?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Oh come on, let's be fair - that's actually a pretty sophisticated work for Brice Marden. This is his "The Dylan Painting," in the permanent collection of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art:

In the abstract (pun intended), you have to admire someone who can convince well educated, aesthetically sophisticated folks that there is meaning and value in something as bland and banal as grey paint on canvas. It's a great con, and an opportunity for "investors" in art to simultaneously butter their egos, and buy a ticket in the "greater fool" theory of investing. Everybody wins.
    It might also say that being well educated and aesthetically sophisticated is overrated

no peasant. Enzo said that Jag was the most beautiful car ever.

The cat understands.

Ollyjag.jpg

I believe that's it's pronounced its-an-jaaag-v0-xrop42fr2zic1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I must say that I really feel sorry and sad for those who do not see the beauty and value in those Marden paintings. There are a lot of us, aren’t there?
    You get used to it. The most beautiful thing I've ever seen, at least as far as thought-inducing beauty (as differentiated from the raw emotional beauty found in my deeply biased views I hold about my wife and two children), is either the fundamental theory of calculus and its relatives in higher dimensions, or the standard formulation of quantum mechanics (I can't decide between the two, and never could). But North of 99 out of 100 of the people I have known and loved and respected don't see either one as particular interesting even, let alone get all blurry-eyed about their beauty.

Like I said, you get used to it.

That Marden isn't just grey.

It's in the details, just like quantum mechanics.

Then again, I enjoy things like finding the cigarette ash, paper and tobacco in Pollock's work too.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 02-27-2024 at 2:45 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Marred only by an electrical system by Lucas Prince of Darkness.
    Lucas vehicle lighting systems had three levels; off, dim & flicker.

Beer & ale in Briton are served warm because the refrigerators are made by Lucas.

Though they were renowned for one of their products that didn't suck… Vacuum cleaners.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)