Thread: Problems with King Jointer/Planer (similar to Jet JJP-12)

Problems with King Jointer/Planer (similar to Jet JJP-12)

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. I've got the King 12" Jointer/Planer. It's pretty similar to the Jet JJP-12.

In planer mode, when I find that sometimes the workpiece feeds until the second roller (after the cutting head) and then the work piece stops moving. When I push on the workpiece, it starts to move again.. You can see the witness marks of the roller on the wood. The J/P is about 2 years old now.

I've had the covers off and can see that the chain and belt drives are both functioning. I also tightened down on the set screws which add pressure where the roller bearings are held with the springs.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stephen Leung; 02-24-2024 at 9:35 PM. Reason: better description

I would start by simply waxing/getting the bed of your planer slippery to see if that helps.

Check the roller. The one i had on Jet rubber on it disintegrated, I ended up ordering replacement

You never mentioned if you tried waxing as John said but my Powermatic PM 15 was getting a little temperamental with an occasional board stalling and I waxed the table and it was like a new machine. Just because it looks good doesn't mean doesn't mean it won't help to wax it.

Hi guys, thanks for the great responses. John’s note was equivalent to IT asking “have you plugged it in?”

Sadly and laughably, I hadn’t! I checked belt tension, spring tension, the drives were working. It didn’t occur to me to just ask why isn’t the wood moving properly!!

Thanks to all of you for your wisdom. I’ll check out the roller if the waxing doesn’t pan out.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Leung View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for the great responses. John’s note was equivalent to IT asking “have you plugged it in?”

Sadly and laughably, I hadn’t! I checked belt tension, spring tension, the drives were working. It didn’t occur to me to just ask why isn’t the wood moving properly!!

Thanks to all of you for your wisdom. I’ll check out the roller if the waxing doesn’t pan out.

Cheers!
    Hey man, we’ve all been there! Hope that’s all it takes to get things moving again

I don't have a combo, but I need to occasionally clean the rubber rollers on my dewalt 735. They get a little slick and cleaning them with DNA or similar solvent restores some grip. With the marks on your board, you may have created a glaze on your rollers from excessive heat.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher