Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to think about this email from Grizzly?

Blog Entries

Not sure what to think about this email from Grizzly?

I just bought a new bandsaw from Grizzly last week.
    Today I got an email from them telling me to “ upgrade my bandsaw blade”.
    I know that the blade that came with it is not the best, I haven’t even tried to cut anything yet, but the implication that they ship their bandsaws with junk blades doesn’t seem to be the most brilliant marketing strategy.
    I’m tempted to respond asking them why I need an upgrade, (of course I know the answer to that).
    Dennis

Higher quality blades are so much more expensive and the variety available makes choosing a higher quality bandsaw blade kind of a personal decision IMO. Shipping bandsaws with a lower quality blade saves the customer money in the long run, you have a lower quality blade to use when its appropriate and get to select the more expensive higher quality blade that suits your needs.

I purchased a Felder FB 610 several years ago that shipped with a general quality blade but I new at the time I was going to have to order the blade I really wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Higher quality blades are so much more expensive and the variety available makes choosing a higher quality bandsaw blade kind of a personal decision IMO. Shipping bandsaws with a lower quality blade saves the customer money in the long run, you have a lower quality blade to use when its appropriate and get to select the more expensive higher quality blade that suits your needs.

I purchased a Felder FB 610 several years ago that shipped with a general quality blade but I new at the time I was going to have to order the blade I really wanted.
    I can't agree. Why not send a great blade so you can start working right away. A beginner has no idea what kind of upgrade he needs. Send them a blade they can really use.

Or make a deal with a quality blade maker and ship it with a clearly labeled blade to impress the buyer into sticking with that brand.
    I think tire makers give good deals to car factories as advertising. Lots of folks will replace wit the original brand figure the factory knows what is best for my machine.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I can't agree. Why not send a great blade so you can start working right away. A beginner has no idea what kind of upgrade he needs. Send them a blade they can really use.
    Is there a blade that is great for everything?

I don't think so.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post

I don't think so.
    +1. No matter what blade the saw was shipped with most would find fault with it.

I'm with Keith. Ship it with a servicable blade so the customer can get it up and running.
    IIRC, Dennis bought a 14" Grizzly? Get a few T-Wolves, and experiment.

You'd be surprised at how "not junky" the blade that shipped with your saw might be. It won't last long, and you do want better blades, but it will cut as long as you're using the blade for it was meant for.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

My Laguna didn’t even come with one. Buy what you want. :shrug:

It could be a marketing type email to influence you to come back to their site and "buy more blades", lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post

I don't think so.
    No, but every after market blade is better than the one they put on the saw now.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-26-2024 at 9:24 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

non of my new machines came with blades or tooling.

Many of the used ones came with blades, used shapers with tooling.

For metal working it is normal to speed as much on tooling and work holding as you paid for the machine.
    Bill D

I think this is the norm for most large power tools. They send an average quality blade with the tool to get the new buyer started. For reason of being cost competitive, they don't send a higher priced blade unless, the buyer orders it and pays for it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I wonder if some customers may have received blades from a bad batch, and they were trying to give a warning?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Maybe not in bandsaws, but i've seen a few exceptions to the Junk Blade on New Saw...
    1. Ryobi BT3000 table saw, bought new 30+ years ago. Included blade was an Italian-made (purported by Freud) combo blade. Got rid of the saw 12-15 years ago, still using the blade after a handful of sharpenings. I'm not a combo blade fan, but will say that for a combo blade the Ryobi has performed favorably to the Forrest WW2 i tried.
    2. Makita Magnesium circular saw. As a construction grade blade the Makita blade included was excellent on decking material out of the box, and also has held up well.

I'm sure there are other examples, but those are my first-person results.

In bandsaws, if i ever buy a new one--i'll treat it like no blade is supplied, just based on so many comments from various sources. If it ends up being otherwise, i'll view it as a bonus. I've felt the same about used BS blades included with the used BS's i've bought--and i didn't place any value on the blades being included in the deals.