Thread: Porter Cable 7549 Jigsaw

Porter Cable 7549 Jigsaw

Just picked one up at an Estate sale for $20. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but it should be an improvement over the old Craftsman Auto-scroll saw I was using. I had to cut some bowl blanks out of some 2 1/4" Teak and it was challenge. I'll probably try it out today on some Sapele. I need to see if I can salvage a bowl blank by gluing a piece on. Jim

Here's a link to the manual in case you didn't get it:

https://www.toolservicenet.com/i/POR...88004_7649.pdf

Hopefully, it will take "standard" universal blades. I did not read the specs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have its brother the 7649, which is a barrel style.

As for blades it takes Porter Cable ‘hook’ style and Bosch style if you reverse the blade holder. The jigsaw is a bit of a beast, I use it to break down rough lumber to rough sizes, the saw has two orbit modes that make the saw more aggresive.

I have one as well, used it to cut thin plate steel and it appears to be none the worse for wear. I haven't used mine in years, don't know if you can still get the J hook blades. I had some "universal" blades - just a straight end kind of dished - that worked okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    "...don't know if you can still get the J hook blades....."
    Available everywhere. All sizes and lengths. Search for PC bayonet saw blades

I still have my ages-old PC 548 worm-drive bayonet saw. A real horse.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Since the unit reportedly can use "universal" (Bosch design) blades, there's no worries about the PC proprietary format.
    --

I used the PC style blades once or twice sometime in the mid 90’s and been using Bosch blades ever since..

I just bought some Bosch blades for hardwood to cut the Teak bowl blanks with the Craftsman so I'm set to try it out. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Since the unit reportedly can use "universal" (Bosch design) blades, there's no worries about the PC proprietary format.
    I thought Bosch blades were the T shank design. I didn't know until I started looking that Bosch also makes universal blades which is good to see.

I have an older model of that jigsaw that I found NOS in a small hardware store in the early 1970's. I used it until Bosch came out with the variable orbit ones, and probably never used the all metal PC again. It's in my collection of old power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I thought Bosch blades were the T shank design. I didn't know until I started looking that Bosch also makes universal blades which is good to see.
    Pretty much "everyone" has gone to the same mount for jigsaw blades in recent years. I personally use the Festool blades most of the time, but have used Bosch and others when that's what was available.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Available everywhere. All sizes and lengths. Search for PC bayonet saw blades

I still have my ages-old PC 548 worm-drive bayonet saw. A real horse.
    That old beast is still running? It went to a good home.

Blog Entries
    I bought two at a pawn shop in their boxes like new. Never use them..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    That old beast is still running? It went to a good home.
    Whooaa - Great memory, Larry. That one is the backup; I'm still driving my original.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.