Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? Self starting kitchen oven ?

? Self starting kitchen oven ?

My wife and I went to neighbor’s house for dinner last night and they related a story of their (very fancy, high end) oven in their previous house apparently spontaneously turning on to “broil” in the middle of the night. They were awakened by the smell. Technician came out and pronounced everything was “fine” and posited perhaps a power surge or some such…..(made me think about the recent thread on SMC about the Rigid table saw starting up with a bump on the fence……)
    Anyone here ever heard of such an occurrence???
    Jeff

Wow! Everything "fine"? I'm imagining that happening while they were out of town. We have surges often.
    < insert spurious quote here >

A little Googling shows this does happen and can be caused from power surges, bad sensors, flakey switches - in other words, typical electronic causes.

My Café induction range is "pretty darn smart", but it requires multiple steps to start up the oven for any setting. I believe they did this on purpose to help reduce the possibility of some "non human" even causing a start. even the app is limited in that respect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"(very fancy, high end) oven"

If it was Wi-Fi/internet connected I guess there was a "remote" chance that it was hacked.

Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Blog Entries
    Some new dishwashers are connected to the internet. If you have one, you can turn it on from anywhere. I wonder how many have been hacked.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yes, and if you can believe my newsfeeds, those smart appliances can hog an awful lot of your bandwidth even when not running.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Some new dishwashers are connected to the internet. If you have one, you can turn it on from anywhere. I wonder how many have been hacked.
    The only appliance we own that is not connected is our new dishwasher that I just installed. It was supposed to be a connected appliance but after receiving two damaged and being without for over a month, I opted for my second choice that could be delivered next day...and it's not a connected model. No big deal.
    --

Bluetooth. ovens, hvac thermostats, water heater, fridges a etc are all being sold today. These can be turned on/off. up/down from your phone anywhere in the world. I suppose they can be hacked.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bluetooth. ovens, hvac thermostats, water heater, fridges a etc are all being sold today. These can be turned on/off. up/down from your phone anywhere in the world. I suppose they can be hacked.
    Bill D.
    The risk of hacking is largely with the company running the app. Not 100%, but close to that. I find the connected features to be quite valuable.
    --

I had the oven come on by itself - the element simply powered up one night. Saw the glow and said WTH? The manufacturer replaced it at no cost. Said it was some kind of internal failure. Scary.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I just changed the light bulbs inside a built in double oven for a charming 92 year old widow lady. The ovens are where she stores her cat food. I turned the circuit breaker off and said a few things about fire hazards while I worked. After turning the circuit breaker back on I said a few more things about fire hazards. She said "It is so nice to see the Kittys food supply again"
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It is difficult for me to image why one would want to be away from home to turn on the dishwasher. Our 15 year old dishwasher is quiet enough that I run it in the morning while Candy is still in bed asleep.

Many years ago my mom used to put Sunday dinner in the oven and set the clock on the stove for start time and finish time. The stove would come on while we were at church and dinner would be mostly done when we got home.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I’ve never wanted to turn my dishwasher on from somewhere else. What’s the attraction?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Forgetfulness? Allowing some other thing to complete its work first? Each person would have their own reason to use or not use a feature. My primary like for these connected devices is that they let me know when they are done doing something, such as the wash, so it doesn't sit "out of sight; out of mind" and when the oven is pre-heated, etc. I don't remote control these appliances. I do remote control the front door when Professor Dr. SWMBO forgets to lock it...
    --