Thread: Project: Simple Ash Coffee Table For Daughter, Cat Themed

Project: Simple Ash Coffee Table For Daughter, Cat Themed

A few months ago, before my wrist surgery, I completed an ash dining table for our older daughter's apartment to replace a decrepit old eating table-thang that was in need of a good landfill (melamine covered particle board and pretty much unsalvageable) The ash was milled off our old property and it had a small "cat theme" feature on the top in one corner. That detail was, shall we say, understated, because it was the better choice for an eating table. She requested a new coffee table to replace an older mass-market one she's been using for years that was originally in her little "apartment" in our previous home, so I decided to continue the theme...with "more cat". Why? She's a cat person and her cat Harry is one of the things that helps her emotionally. Harry is named Harry for a reason...he's a beautiful black and white tuxedo, three years old, and from birth, he had a little detail on his forehead. Yup, a lightning bolt. Remember Harry Potter? Also a lightning bolt.

At any rate, this is not going to be a build thread because I doubt there is anyone here who struggles with gluing two boards together. The table top is made from one wide board that was cut and rejoined to create the surface. The pocketing for the image was created on the CNC and the image was something I found "out there". (We cannot sell something like this with an image we don't have rights to, just to be clear) The image is resin filled with Total Boat High Performance, dyed black with a hint of sparkly mica added. Finish is again, Rubio Monocoat (but two coats), Natural with about 10% Morning Mist to fill the grain with the grey color like with the dining table. While there was intention to use the same style metal legs as the eating table, the short version was way too narrow for a 460mm/24"+ wide table for stability, so I opted for four black metal legs (with leveling). The "customer" is over the moon happy and I have to admit, this sucker has a kewel look to it.

CatCoffeTableFinished.jpg CatCoffeeTableInSitu.jpgCatShadesClose.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hah! I love it! The cat is super cool but the stain really does a great job at accenting the beautiful wood grains.

Well done Jim.

Yea, the Rubio really has some interesting options, depending on the wood species you're using. Woods like ash and oak can really be manipulated in kewel ways due to their open grain. I initially tried with just the Morning Mist (which is grey) with the eating table, but the process of wiping it off on the hard ash didn't leave much behind outside of the pores, so I went with adding some into the natural and the effect was...the same.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A few months ago, before my wrist surgery, I completed an ash dining table for our older daughter's apartment to replace a decrepit old eating table-thang that was in need of a good landfill (melamine covered particle board and pretty much unsalvageable) The ash was milled off our old property and it had a small "cat theme" feature on the top in one corner. That detail was, shall we say, understated, because it was the better choice for an eating table. She requested a new coffee table to replace an older mass-market one she's been using for years that was originally in her little "apartment" in our previous home, so I decided to continue the theme...with "more cat". Why? She's a cat person and her cat Harry is one of the things that helps her emotionally. Harry is named Harry for a reason...he's a beautiful black and white tuxedo, three years old, and from birth, he had a little detail on his forehead. Yup, a lightning bolt. Remember Harry Potter? Also a lightning bolt.

At any rate, this is not going to be a build thread because I doubt there is anyone here who struggles with gluing two boards together. The table top is made from one wide board that was cut and rejoined to create the surface. The pocketing for the image was created on the CNC and the image was something I found "out there". (We cannot sell something like this with an image we don't have rights to, just to be clear) The image is resin filled with Total Boat High Performance, dyed black with a hint of sparkly mica added. Finish is again, Rubio Monocoat (but two coats), Natural with about 10% Morning Mist to fill the grain with the grey color like with the dining table. While there was intention to use the same style metal legs as the eating table, the short version was way too narrow for a 460mm/24"+ wide table for stability, so I opted for four black metal legs (with leveling). The "customer" is over the moon happy and I have to admit, this sucker has a kewel look to it.

CatCoffeTableFinished.jpg CatCoffeeTableInSitu.jpgCatShadesClose.jpg
    Very nice Jim. Could you post overall dimensions and if possible the brand and model of the legs. My Grandkid are in need of a small table for art and eating when company comes. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    That is the coolest kitty in town! I am in big trouble with the kids for not being careful enough with their first addition Harry Potter books.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The top on this table is 610mm x 860mm x 30mm (~24" x ~33.85" x ~1.2"). The legs are off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DCYHD2R...t_details&th=1

The legs on the eating table are:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    --

Thanks Jim!

Very cool cat table I like it.
    I would also like to thank you for not boring us with pics every time you cut the wood.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Very cool cat table I like it.
    I would also like to thank you for not boring us with pics every time you cut the wood.
    LOL. I do sometimes like to show some of the more boring steps, but largely because I use a slider and there may be some folks who find that interesting. But I'm never going to post a full length video of...glue drying.
    --

I like the catoyance.

I wish you would start a YouTube channel for the slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    I wish you would start a YouTube channel for the slider.
    I've occasionally thought about doing things like that, but I can never get by the significant time and equipment requirement to "do it right", especially with the quantity of times I've circled the sun at this point. The effort just to do the shop build videos was eye opening! I have a lot of respect for content creators for sure.
    --