Thread: Durable film finish that doesn't look like plastic, explained

Durable film finish that doesn't look like plastic, explained

With 2 posts going at the same time, I thought it might help to share my method. Pictures are of an 18" diameter x 7" deep once turned soft maple bowl. It has a stain applied that was made by boiling water adding turmeric. Curiously I sold 24 of these to the same patron. Paid for my Oneway 2436 in this one job!
    Sand to 220 grit off the lathe with random orbit sanders, blow off the dust.
    Use Minwax Quick Dry Poly in the satin sheen, straight from the can. Be sure to properly stir the finish to thoroughly mix in the flattening agent in the bottom of the can!
    Fold up a 3 layer cotton cloth applicator pad.
    Dip just an edge in the finish and start applying on the outside. Leave a dry spot so you can still hold it and then apply the finish to the inside.
    I fold up a "V" shaped dull bandsaw blade to sit the bowl on when you have nearly all the bowl covered. The teeth points will not show up in the wet finish by the time you have 3 coats on.
    Touch up the dry spots while it sits on the bandsaw blade standoff. Let dry a minimum of 24 hours. I find the first coat takes longer to dry than coats 2 and 3.
    Don't overwork the finish. Wipe it on, let it alone.
    Sand the first cured coat with a foam backed 320 grit pad.
    Apply the second coat, sand again with 320 pad.
    Apply the third coat.
    This time sand with 320 pad to flatten the finish and rub it down with 0000 steel wool.
    You get a smooth as a babies bottom finish.
    DISCARD ALL THE COTTON PADS IN A PROPER METHOD SO YOU DON'T BURN DOWN YOUR SHOP!
    IMG_3093.jpgIMG_3094.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 02-25-2024 at 4:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Curiously I sold 24 of these to the same patron. Paid for my Oneway 2436 in this one job!
    You sold 24 bowls and made ~$8000 profit???

Please tell me more about your methods.

Is $300 for an 18x7 inch bowl really unreasonable? I would think he could charge more but was giving a bulk discount. What do I know though?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    You sold 24 bowls and made ~$8000 profit???

Please tell me more about your methods.

All the wood was free from an arborist. Well not free, I gave him a bag of ornaments. I core these big bowls out, so sell another 3 bowls at the Holiday Show I sell at, so 4 bowls from each blank. I did sell these for $300 each, but I bought my Oneway in 1998. I also didn't include the bowls sold at he Holiday show, so maybe paid for my Oneway twice over. The original order from the patron was "Just start making them and I will tell you when to stop". I found this one patron after 16 years if turning, and when he retired he hasn't bought anything else. So definitely a once in a lifetime experience for me.

Except for being time consuming, this sounds like a good finish. Two questions. You say to sand off the lathe with a ROS. Wondering why. I have never had good clean results using a ROS on a curved surface.

You also say Apply the second coat, sand again with 320 pad. Is this wet sand, or wait until the finish is dry?

Thanks for the help.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling