Thread: Large Tablesaw Sled - In Use

Blog Entries

Big Tablesaw Sled in Use

I have shown this before during other threads. Just to stir up some conversation and hopefully provide some value I am posting it separately. I don't use this beast often but it hangs on pegs near the tablesaw and is handy now and again.

When you need to cut larger panels the sled comes off the saw quite a bit. To make things less of a juggling act this support tongue is used.

I also have a piece of stock that is the same height as the sled base. A couple of rare earth magnets and some plastic dip smeared on for traction support larger panels that extend beyond the sled.

The whole affair looks like so.

This makes nice, true, larger panel cuts a snap.

I often do these cuts with a guided circ saw but I am doing multiple projects right now. There seems to be stuff everywhere. At any rate I get the panels I need and can carry on.

It took longer to take the pics than it did to cut the panels . My thought in posting is that this puts a large sled example in an easily searchable place for future or returning visitors.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-26-2024 at 9:00 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, I have one of similar size I built using William Ng's demonstrated 5 cut method for squaring the fence. It's my go to for accurate 90ºcuts!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mine isn't quite that big, but I find it to be quite handy. Best way I have for squaring up relatively large pieces and making accurate repetitive cuts.

Blog Entries
    Sorry the pictures got lost on this post. I had originally posted with bad links. In the attempt to repair that the pics were lost.

– Samuel Butler

Lost for good? I was intrigued and am left wondering!

Blog Entries
    I can re-post the pictures correctly here. I may not get it right but it will be close. Let's try that ;-)

I have shown this before during other threads. Just to stir up some conversation and hopefully provide some value I am posting it separately. I don't use this beast often but it hangs on pegs near the tablesaw and is handy now and again.

Big Sled in Use (7).jpg

When you need to cut larger panels the sled comes off the saw quite a bit. To make things less of a juggling act this support tongue is used.

Big Sled in Use (2).jpg . Big Sled in Use (3).jpg

I also have a piece of stock that is the same height as the sled base. A couple of rare earth magnets and some plastic dip smeared on for traction support larger panels that extend beyond the sled.

Big Sled in Use (4).jpg . Big Sled in Use (5).jpg

The whole affair looks like so.

Big Sled in Use (1).jpg . Big Sled in Use (6).jpg

This makes nice, true, larger panel cuts a snap.

I often do these cuts with a guided circ saw but I am doing multiple projects right now. There seems to be stuff everywhere. At any rate I get the panels I need and can carry on.

Big Sled in Use (9).jpg

It took longer to take the pics than it did to cut the panels . My thought in posting is that this puts a large sled example in an easily searchable place for future or returning visitors.

– Samuel Butler

Wow that sled is huge. It must weigh 50 lbs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jim sauterer View Post
    Wow that sled is huge. It must weigh 50 lbs.

Actually 32 pounds but it sure can feel like 50 some days

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for re-posting the pictures, Glenn. I like the support tongue, think I'll steal that idea.