Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mortise and tenon projects

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul Azeez View Post
    [

Thanks so much for sharing. This one looks great and I could start this. The tools I don't have based on this video are marking gauge, flush cutting saw, dado stack, shoulder plane and the other plane he showed. I assume for dado stack I can use just my regular blade on table saw. For the others, any recommendations on cost effective options to buy? Also instead of a stool can I adapt this to say a bench? Or should I start small?
    My opinions based on building this. Your skill level and available tools might change the answers I’m suggesting. Also, other readers may feel differently than I do…..

You can cut the dado as you suggested.
    You can use a square and a sharp pencil (or knife) in place of a marking gauge.
    I’d buy a flush cutting saw - they are not expensive.
    A shoulder plane is useful. For some jobs, you can use a sharp chisel instead. Depends on the task. I do like having one in my kit.

I would start small, with inexpensive lumber - handle this as a learning experience (prototype). If you like it, build it again with more expensive material. Or, if you use expensive materials, practice any “hard parts” on inexpensive material first. (You will learn a lot the first time you do a new task.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I’d start with Google?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I made this little stool: LINK. It was a good exercise in M&T Joinery. I'm afraid there's no formal plan.

Attachment 516087
    I saw this but it was a complicated build.
    It was actually very simple. Other than a table saw to rough cut the parts to size and a drill press to drill out most of the mortise waste it was all done with hand tools. All the tenons are pinned or wedged
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Before you even start with an actual project, get some inexpensive pine or construction lumber and practice practice practice. This will give you a chance to learn the best method of making M&T joints with the tools you have in your arsenal.

One tool that will really help if you don't have it is a corner chisel, especially if you plan to make visible joints like the little stool Rob Luter posted.

Once you get through some square angle M&T you can attempt some splayed like a shop stool but those are a lot more complicated and you should built some angle jigs to set up your equipment for the angles.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Before you even start with an actual project, get some inexpensive pine or construction lumber and practice practice practice. This will give you a chance to learn the best method of making M&T joints with the tools you have in your arsenal.

One tool that will really help if you don't have it is a corner chisel, especially if you plan to make visible joints like the little stool Rob Luter posted.

Once you get through some square angle M&T you can attempt some splayed like a shop stool but those are a lot more complicated and you should built some angle jigs to set up your equipment for the angles.

^^ Great advice ^^
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    ^^ Great advice ^^
    Well it's good advice, but some of the advice is recently learned at the woodworking show, so I can't take credit for the setup jigs. I actually went back to the show a 2nd day to sit in on Tommy MacDonald's Session on these kitchen stools he makes and there is 12 splayed / angled M&T joints. Same concept for any stool with angle legs. He has has plans and the angle jig for sale through Blue Spruce Tool Works. I didn't buy the plans/template jig since I can just figure it out on my own, but they are really cool stools. My biggest issue is I have no need for such a stool in my house so I have no clue what i'd do with it if I decide to give it a shot.

https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/coll...tern-templates

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post

Is common board from home Depot good to try this out or are you referring to the standard 2x?

You can literally use any wood. Just make sure to four-square it first. Or it'll make things more complicated than it needs to be here.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Is common board from home Depot good to try this out or are you referring to the standard 2x?
    Like I mentioned in our text msgs, cheap lumber for practice is perfect, be it construction lumber (2x4's), furring strips, or the lowest grade pine. Meaning use this to practice and learn as long as the board is flat and square. Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-4...9HFT/206883043

For about $4, you can cut it in half and make a M&T, then cut it off, and make another, and another, until you are comfortable cutting the tenon. And the other half you can just keep making mortises until there's no more wood left. Cheap pratice.

This link goes to Woodsmith plans. The design doesn't seem too difficult; only 3 mortise and tenon joints.
    https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=d200b...c3Rvb2wv&ntb=1

Here's another possible project, depending on whether you like Arts & Crafts style furniture.

Tile-Top Craftsman Table | Woodworking Project | Woodsmith Plans

Just a suggestion - Take some scrap wood. Square it up and make some mortise and tenon joints until you feel comfortable; then try a project. That way, no wood wasted and you would likely have better success on your first project. Mortise and tenon joints aren't complicated, but do require accurate layout and, flat square wood to have satisfactory success. (The square, flat wood thing applies, of course, if that's the kind of project you're making, but that would be the simplest way to practice.)

You are going to make some mistakes. Embrace them. Agree with the advice to make a few practice joints but cheap wood may not be the most fun to work with. You may have some better offcuts to play with. A nice steel ruler and a few sharp chisels should be adequate to start with, and a square of some kind. Hold off on the shoulder plane and corner chisel.

I still don't possess a corner chisel. With good marking practices, I've found no need for one.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I agree. A small bedside or coffee table is a good way to start. This table was a beginner project where I went to woodworking school in Waco, Texas: https://paulsellers.com/2016/08/maki...-table-series/ It was done entirely with hand tools, and took about three days to make, but with power tools, I would expect you could cut that in half.
    Regards,

Tom