Thread: Ellsworth’s Turning Class

Ellsworth’s Turning Class

Heading to Asheville next week to attend his class. Anyone attended and have any first hand knowledge, tips, what to expect, etc?

Following, I’m enrolled in one if early April.

Expect to find a knowledgeable and skilled turner and teacher. David has the ability to quickly assess every turner in your class and help him or her take their turning to their next level. Expect to handle and examine spectacular works of other world class turners. Expect to be fed wholesome and tasty meals at lunch, prepared by David or his equally artistic wife Wendy. And you'll eat at his beautiful natural edge walnut dining table next to the kitchen. Good on you for taking his class. I took his class over 20 years ago and was pretty much a beginner at that time. Really helped me start a life long love affair with turning.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

I’m signed up for mid/end of April and can’t wait. I hear he also has a Maloof rocker you can sit in. Seems like a bucket list turning experience. He’s in his 80s so I don’t know how long the window of opportunity will stay open. Kind of a pain to get there but I’ll do it!

hoping OP gives his assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by alan weinberg View Post
    hoping OP gives his assessment.
    Am I missing something, who is OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    Am I missing something, who is OP?
    “Original poster”

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I had a friend who enrolled in The David Ellsworth Class and he was easily the most advanced turner in the group of five. As a consequence, he got very little attention and was slightly disappointed that Ellsworth didn't offer more critique. That's the nature to these things: the instruction is dictated by the lowest common denominator.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    I had a friend who enrolled in The David Ellsworth Class and he was easily the most advanced turner in the group of five. As a consequence, he got very little attention and was slightly disappointed that Ellsworth didn't offer more critique. That's the nature to these things: the instruction is dictated by the lowest common denominator.
    exactly what I was warned—don’t be best or worst or you won’t learn as much.

Just finished up the class yesterday. Overall it was great - I wasn’t the most experienced, or the least out of the 5 of us. The first day David did a demo on his methods to turn a bowl - then we were set loose. Saturday was more
    of the same, and David would wander between us a couple times offering advice, otherwise he was sitting and observing. If you had a specific question you only had to ask him to come to your station.

Overall I though the class was definitely worth the cost, I feel I came away with a lot more knowledge and skills then I went in with.

I also came away wanting to buy a Robust and sell my Laguna.
    Last edited by Mike Hollis; 03-11-2024 at 5:16 PM.

I was watching a video he did, it was really good, I can only imagine actually being there, thanks for shairing.