Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor seal

Anchor seal

I have a Partial 5 gallon can of anchor seal that thicken up , anyone know what I can use to thin it out.

I think water works.

I'm fairly confident that the mix is just latex paint with wax so water should work to thin by why bother thinning?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    I have a Partial 5 gallon can of anchor seal that thicken up , anyone know what I can use to thin it out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I'm fairly confident that the mix is just latex paint with wax so water should work to thin by why bother thinning?
    There is no latex paint in Anchor Seal.
    https://uccoatings.com/products/anch...grain-sealer/#

It can be thinned with water, this is commonly done when being sprayed on.

Edward, thanks for the link. I see the data sheet recommends spraying on, do you think any efficacy is lost by using a brush?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    There is no latex paint in Anchor Seal.
    https://uccoatings.com/products/anch...grain-sealer/#

It can be thinned with water, this is commonly done when being sprayed on.

I use a brush because I don't have a large pile to seal at once. I work by myself and do a couple of pieces at a time. I don't see any loss of the products efficiency, just takes a bit longer in some cases.
    A sprayer is faster for large amount of coverage and it's also easy to apply a few thin coats, rather than one thick one.

Also I'll add this.
    I use Anchorseal 2
    The normal price is about $45 per gallon, which is the largest size container anyone carries.
    I buy it fron UC Coatings direct by the 5 gallon pail. With shipping of $50 (ouch) the price is about $32 per gallon to my front door.
    $50 is probably one of the highest shipping prices, NJ-CA
    If you can, I strongly suggest buying in bulk.

This can be an (another) advantage of being in a turning club - the club or a member may buy and sell it for a better price without the need to get a large quantity.

Depends if it is the old formula or the cold weather formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Depends if it is the old formula or the cold weather formula.
    What depends on the formula?
    The only difference is that winter formula has a small amount of alcohol in it.

Dosen't tight bond 2 work just as good? Or is it a matter of opinion, I have been using it a couple of years.

Thanks for the input.. water it is. I have probably gone through three 5 gallon containers over the past 5 or 6 years and have never had it thicken up to were it wouldn’t pour until this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    Dosen't tight bond 2 work just as good? Or is it a matter of opinion, I have been using it a couple of years.
    You use what works for you.
    It's my understanding that PVA glues and sealers, as well as latex paint can certainly be used but they lack the flexibility of the wax emulsion.
    I also find AS easier to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    What depends on the formula?
    The only difference is that winter formula has a small amount of alcohol in it.
    It has methanol in it. So the OP could use water or methanol, that's what it depends on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    Tight bond? Try Titebond. In a pinch I use old Titebond original and stick a sheet of magazine paper in it. It's given me great results.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    It has methanol in it. So the OP could use water or methanol, that's what it depends on.
    Yes but only less than 5% methanol, in the winter formula only. (if that's what he has)

If I had some that thickened, I would simply try adding distilled water to lower the viscosity. That small amount of alcohol only lowers the freezing point a couple of degrees. Once it freezes, it's pretty much ruined. Directions state to keep it stored above 40 degrees F, even the winter formula.