Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Glue: Polyurethane or Epoxy For a Fence Gate

If it didn’t have glue the tenons would slide out of the mortise, that’s why doors and gates have glue in the mortise.

The tenons are slip fits in the mortises

Regards, Rod

It could also be a testament to your skill to cut accurate tight fitting joinery. Comparing a door to a stationary object it’s a bit of a stretch.
    I thought of something I would like to share. If you ever buy a socket chisel and the handle falls off easily spray some aqua net hair spray on the wooden part and it will hold.
    I don’t mind these discussions because there’s a lot of teachings that spill out of content creators that’s crap.
    Definitely not taking about you Rod your advice and opinions I do agree with mostly. But still learning myself.
    I do try to share my own lived experience almost never point to someone’s article or video.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I would personally also consider a polyurethane construction adhesive that you would apply with a caulking gun

I've used TiteBond III outdoors with fine results. But to echo Andrew, make sure you seal the ends of the pieces where you have tenons. If you don't, water gets in that crack and wicks up into the wood, under the finish and makes the final product look bad. That's true for any glue, not just TB III.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I feel like I've just been tapping on the proverbial hornet's nest with this one. Thanks all, for your responses. Your experiences, offered insights, and respectful banter are all part of the reason why I keep coming back to the Sawmill Creek community.

Incidentally, I glued up the blanks for the gate frame over the weekend (I want a 2-1/2" thickness for the finished gate), deciding to go with Gorilla. I've got a reasonable supply of Total Boat with the slow hardener, but didn't want to hassle with the potential mess (though polyurethane glue can be messy enough when it foams up). The cedar was freshly face-planed before the glue-up so, I didn't think a wipe down with acetone would be necessary before applying the glue. In following the manufacturer's recommendations (and my own past experience) I did, however, use a fine spray of water on one side then wiped down with a rag before mating and then clamping the pieces together. I'll do the M&T joinery for these four pieces first before creating remaining parts for the lattice.

Garden Gate_joinery.png
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 03-11-2024 at 9:21 PM.