Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointer picked up at Auction

Looks like a fun project Tom. I also enjoy fooling with fixing up things. I looks like it will end up worth doing, whichever way you decide.

You have convinced me that, were I doing it, I would go with the segmented setup for a total of under $600. That sounds good to me.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I haven't decided on straight knives or segmented cutter head as of yet. I guess I am still ack and forth,

As far as asbestos goes I spent 4 years in a steam powered engine room and then made E7 in the Naval Reserves. So I have been around asbestos lagging for years and second hand smoke for years. I have a friend who never smoked but ran a CNC and also had a grinder in his sell for 20 years. Now his lungs are hardening and the doctor gives him 2 years at the most. I have now come to the conclusion that breathing and just plain living is bad for your health.

So I may have asbestos tile on the floor. All the dust on the floor at the door is not from the tile but off the machine that I dragged in. Even if the tile has asbestos it is not a problem if left alone. Like lead based paint, it is not a problem unless I eat it.

Ever notice that every one that wants to make you afraid of saw dust, is selling stuff to capture the dust. I heard a commercial on how bad eggs are for you, and that 2 cans if a sugared drink makes 3 1/2 hours of working out in a gym worthless. First lets make you afraid of it so prices can go up. Anyway I am not going to worry about my tile floor. If you want to come in you will have to walk on the tile floor if not don't come in.
    Tom

A person on a different forum said that he had the exact color of paint I needed. He gave me the manufacturer, color number and where to get it. I went and bought 2 cans of the spray paint. Again even if it is close I will have enough to repaint the whole jointer. Anyway thank all of you that responded about the color I needed.

I am also sorry that the issue of asbestos was even brought up. It didn't need to be mentioned.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    I guess I would like to know how you determined that any 6 inch working jointer isn't worth mire than $359. or even worth a $359 upgrade.
    By completely ignoring the joy of bringing an old tool back to life!