Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Professionals given no credit on forums..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    What's in a name, show me your work.
    Would not matter. People used to be offended when George Wilson gave them advice.

It is just a feature of the internet.

So many times, it is not the advice but how it is offered.

I'm also not sure what this thread is about exactly but I found it interesting that there are different ideas about what the word professional means. I always thought it meant you get paid for your services whether you were a lawyer or a prostitute. I particularly found Rod's interpretation deriving it from the root word Profession interesting and something to think about. With my original way of thinking the roofer who totally botched a roofing job for me was still a professional.

Blog Entries
    I remember on Woodnet a guy called Dave Arbuckle. He would answer every question, Good answers. When he was asked to show projects, he disappeared…

There are two kinds of answers . The ones you read on the internet and the ones you learned while doing the project

Blog Entries
    You can work in a cabinet shop and be called a cabinet maker, but there are only a few in the shop that know all phases of the business. Most of those guys do the same task all day. Many only looking beer money on the weekend

Blog Entries
    It’s not really a problem here, but on some other forums youtr challenged all the time busy hobby woodworkers that don’t want to give you the credit deserved. I guess they want to go feel equal. We are in a way, but some of us are more “skilled”..

When someone across country wants a bowl, you make a bowl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 03-02-2024 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I totally agree and also confess, I've been guilty of the latter myself.

Often times It's easy to forget that others don't know what you know on a given subject or area of expertise. "Telling" them what to do as opposed to "offering" a suggestion on how they could improve can make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Agreed. It's often true that those who provide less than gentle advice are less experienced than they claim (or, actually think) they are.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Yep. There are a whole bunch of people I've seen get paid to do things they sucked at.
    And some of them are called surgeons. Just sayin...

What I like most about this forum is that you get advice. Most good, some not so much, some just not for me, but usually a wide variety. You pick and choose. And the civility of the forum is what is most satisfying to me.

When I meet people socially I don't require them to call me "Doctor". Really don't want that at all. I'm a human just like they are (OK, a couple I wondered if they were human, but that gets into the stupidity issue. I digress.)
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Someone wrote that if you are the smartest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room. That’s why I like the Creek so much. I’m at the left end of the bell curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    mongo only pawn in game of life.
    Haha, good one Warren, well done.

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Someone wrote that if you are the smartest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room. That’s why I like the Creek so much. I’m at the left end of the bell curve.
    And if you think you are the smartest person in the room you probably aren't.

that was Alan and made me smile. Mongo got it.

On the net anyone can claim to be an expert about anything. They have to prove they know what they are writing about to get respect.
    I can claim to be a brain surgeon and offer free advice on the net. Just hope no one listens to me.
    Bill D